What is so difficult about being a parent?

This is my homework for the evening from my sons school and so many things come to mind. Safety, teaching values, responsiblilty and respect, financially supporting a child, being able to say no, discipline, religion, good education, taking care of a child when we as a parent are sick, quality time with your child, sacrificing and giving up things we wanted to do or be, etc. I have 4 children, 10, 18, 22 and 28 and am a grandma as well. I am wondering what other moms have to say about what is so difficult about being a parent.

nlc0865

Asked by nlc0865 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• For me, its raising a moral child in an unmoral world.
    Anonymous

• The stress involved with worrying that you're doing your best to ensure they have all the things you listed....
    Anonymous

• Teaching them right from wrong. There are so many kids who aren't being taught how to be respectable and kids are impressionable. I have to work hard to make sure he knows he doesn't have to follow the crowd.
    Anonymous

• For some, it's putting a child's needs before your own personal interests, or learning how to adapt your life when your child doesn't "fit" your image of them (as it, they have different relationship/learning needs that you don't recognize or understand).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• WOW!! That is a hard one. I would say raising our children to be upstanding, responsible, moral adults. Raising our kids to be safe in a world that is not the most peaceful or safe place. Teaching them to trust while being careful who they talk to. teaching right from wrong. i will be thinking of this one for a long time now.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would think if it wasn't difficult then something would be wrong.... It is by far the hardest job I have ever had... It's a challenge I am willing to take on everyday so that we raise respectful, happy kids...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 7:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• How to raise a moral, Christan, child that knows right from wrong and respects people and their rights.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Not having the emotional support from family members (they don't see me or my daughter because they only say that I should've never had a child, im a bad parent, and I can't have children cuz im disabled plus my dads side of the family is racist against blacks and my daughter is part black) it was very difficult and first because I let them still be in my life because io wanted them to accept me and my daughter but now that I don't talk to them or see them its gotten a lot easier. I realized that she would be better off not knowing her grandparents and aunts because of the comments they make. Now its just when my daughter doesn't listen that's so difficult
    Anonymous

• Just not screwing them up in general. I don't want them to look back and think they are damaged goods and say it is my fault. I just want them to be decent moral adults that look back and think they had it pretty darn good.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Putting all of this effort and time in, when the ultimate sign of a job well done is that your "client" no longer needs you....

it's the only job in the world where your goal is to work yoursel fo of a job....

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009