Ok, I need to vent!!

Ok, I know smoking is bad and that it can/will kill you............But WHY does the goverment pick on the smokers SO bad? I wasnt ready to quit (although doing quite well at quitting), I never blamed it on my nerves, I never said my kids drove me to it.....etc etc. I did it because I really did enjoy it. Anyone else out there that shares my view? Why cant alcohol be taxed as heavily? I never got behind the wheel of my car and had an accident or killed anyone, because I was smoking. Ok, I guess I'm finished....lol....Thanks ladies. And please be nice

loving_mom7

Asked by loving_mom7 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Health

• i agree. Why dont they raise the tax on fast fd joints? that's killing people as much as cigarettes? It's unhealthy! They really think that increasing the price is really going to fix everything? As sad as it sounds they should lower the price back down to less then 5 dollars, they would get mroe money for rds, or what ever they are trying to do!

i smoke when i drink or go out to the bar or something, im not like atticted i just enjoy it. it's relaxing!
    JoslinIrene77

Answer by JoslinIrene77 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• They don't raise the tax on alcohol because more of our government officials consume it than do tobacco. In other words, taxing tobacco isn't hurting THEM much, but make their Scotch more expensive, and their investments would suffer.

I'm not a smoker, but I think this new tax increase is ridiculous. Just big government butting into our every day lives again, and basically forcing many people to do what they want. Today it's tobacco - what will it be next? Milk?
    Anonymous

• I agree that it unfairly targets smokers, and so does just about EVERYTHING else. If you pick up a magazine it seems like every page says to quit smoking. If you have a hangnail--quit smoking. If you have a stubbed toe--quit smoking. It's getting ridiculous, and I quit smoking several years ago. Why do non-smokers have lower car insurance rates? It's what I think is a campaign of prohibition, not banning tobacco outright, but banning it in so many places and taxing it so high that people will quit because of social, societal pressure and the cost. Here people can't even smoke in bars supposedly because of the health risks of second-hand smoke. So sure, you can kill off a few million brain cells getting drunk, or take home somebody with AIDS or herpes, that's okay, but if you smell somebody's cigarette you might die from it.
    Anonymous