I'll be flying via delta in july. I have what will be an 11 month old at that time. How does the whole "flying with a baby" work? What should I expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Travel

• Typically you don't have to pay for a ticket for a child under 2 or 3. You can place your baby in a sling or buy a seat to put the car seat in. But you must be holding your baby in your arms during takeoff/landing. Flight attendants allow you to walk your baby up & down the aisles during the flight. Also, make sure your baby has a bottle or pacifier during takeoff/landing to help w/ the pressure & ear popping. My aunt was a flight attendant & I asked her the same thing when I thought I was going to fly a few months ago. Also, check w/ them and find out their policies w/ formula. A lot of airlines no longer allow liquids on the flight. Call Delta or check online to make sure of their policies. You may also pay for car seats/strollers and extra bags.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 6:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Every child is different. Our first flight with a 1+ y/o we gave ds benadryl b/c it makes him drowsy and flight was during nap. He was so tired he was falling asleep while sitting up, but he was so overstimulated he couldn't sleep, so he was just cranky = disaster. As a baby he laid in his car seat and slept, was great. If you're going to hold ds/dd it will be a greater challenge; it helps having an extra seat. Take lots of activities. Portable DVD player is great. Be prepared!
    Lovefeeties

Answer by Lovefeeties at 6:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I just got back from a trip to Florida with my 7 month old. He was awesome during the whole trip. I will say if you are traveling alone, bring as little as possible on the plane! If you're bringing formula put all liquids in a clear zip lock bag and put it out in a bin by itself. For changing him at the airport I put everything I would need in clear zip lock bags so when I got to the bathroom I just pulled it out and had everything in one place. Disposable changing pads were awesome! On the way there we didn't have to pay for our extra bag because it was mostly baby stuff but on the way back we did. We gate checked our car seat and stroller at no extra charge. THe stroller and car seat has to be put on the belt for security and you have to hold your baby. He/she can't be in a sling or stroller at that time. On the plane we brought about 10 toys in a zip lock bag and i just showed him a new toy as soon as he cont.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• started getting agitated we'd hand him a new toy. We made sure he would be hungry at take off and landing and it worked like a charm. We also had it so we knew he would be ready for a nap so he slept about an hour the way there and 45 minutes the way back. If your child starts crying, don't worry about it. My son cried the last 25 minutes of the flight there and people are very understanding....at least they were for me. Just try to confort him/her as best you can. You'll do great. I was so nervous, but it ended up being a really nice trip! Good luck and have fun!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• All you ladies were very helpful. thank!
    Anonymous