My ds bottom teeth are coming in behind his baby teeth and the baby teeth are not even loose yet. Is this a problem?

He has a dentist appointment in 3 weeks. Is this too long to wait?? He is 5 years old by the way.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 6:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm a dental hygienist. We see this in the office all the time. It's nothing to worry about and has nothing to do with the alignment of his teeth. When the permanent teeth erupt they are still moving. They will move into place and as they do the baby teeth will become loose. Sometimes permanent teeth erupt sideways and slowly turn into place.
    Sometimes a pediatric dentist will choose to extract the primary teeth but it is very rare.
    As far as alignment is concerned - if one or both parents had to wear braces as children there is a greater possibility that the children will need them also. That is usually not determined until the child is a little older.
    Most likely the dentist will just want to keep and eye on them and will do nothing - it's not unusual.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think they should be fine. I had one as a kid that was all the way in for a month before I told my mom about it (it was a molar not so obvious) and i dont remember it being a big de4al, but I was told that it is more common to have to have braces if you have this happen too. Maybe call the dentist and ask them if it is a big deal and if they want tyou to reschedule it earlier? I think it should be okay though as long as it's not hurting him. My ds has a front one falling out sideways...looks kinda funny.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• my son is having the same thing going on right now and the dentist has told me not too worry about it.. hes had 3 adult teeth come in and literally make the baby teeth fall out. and then the adult teeth push foward
    mom2_2spclkids

Answer by mom2_2spclkids at 6:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It could be. My son's teeth are coming in all funky like that and at 12, he has had 5 teeth pulled and needs 4 more pulled. The first orthodonist appt should be at about 7 or 8 yrs old. They will take x-rays to see how the teeth are coming in and how the perm. teeth are coming in. They will just do checkups every 6 mon- 1 yr. to watch the growth of teeth. My sons teeth are horrible, all criss crossed and not enough room in his mouth for all of his teeth. He will cost me a fortune once he gets braces, which should be really soon!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It can cause problems later with alignment. 3 weeks is not too long to wait... just be sure you ask the dentist about it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Just in case, call the dentist at your earliest convenience and ask. My son had this, and the dentist pulled the teeth to help the adult teeth come in straighter.

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My teeth came in like this and so did my older son's. It is rarely a problem. They come in behind the baby teeth but then they move forward and push the baby teeth out.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2009