Illegal aliens to pay in-state tuition bill passed today

What do you think of this?

http://www.kjct8.com/Global/story.asp?S=10110533

DENVER (AP) - A bill allowing illegal immigrants to pay in-state college tuition in Colorado has survived a 5-4 vote in the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Republican committee member Ted Harvey, an opponent of the bill, was absent from Wednesday's vote because of a family emergency. Had he been present, the vote would likely have been 5-5, stalling the bill.

The vote was originally scheduled for Friday, when Harvey was expected to be back, but was moved up to Wednesday.

Republican Sen. Keith King accused Democrats of holding the vote while Harvey was gone to ensure it passed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Another thing to ponder... Does this give illegals the opportunity to compete for state-centric scholarships? So, the ADVANTAGE is for someone who is ILLEGALLY in this country to beat out your child for an already competitive state-centric scholarship is highly possible?

How does THAT look out for the LEGAL American hardworking students??  Thanks Democratic Lawmakers in Colorado. Thanks for scr*wing over opportunities for legal American students.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If they are going to be allowed to live here and are attending the school they should be paying. Might as well let them pay for a good education if they are going to be living here.

Didn't the Republicans have a say in when the voting was held?

It could make a plot for a TV Police drama type show though...LOL
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• That's not the point. The point is AMERICAN kids coming from another state will have to pay Colorado Universities MORE than people are who are here ILLEGALLY!!

And I'm sorry, but if you KNOW they are here ILLEGALLY and therefore qualify for this, shouldn't you report them and have them deported

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• In-State tuition is a lot cheaper than out-of-state tuition. Since they shouldn't even be here at all, how come they get a preferential discount over an American kid, say from Nebraska or somewhere else out of state? And why assume they are going to be staying here? They should be given a one-way trip to the International Border.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to the United Amnesty States of America.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yeah isn't it hilarious how democrats love to sell us out?
    Anonymous

• *sigh* I've been hearing about this and it really drives me crazy. Why should they pay in-state tuition when they aren't even legal citizens...of ANY state? Did you know that when I first moved here I had to jump through hoops and wait a certain number of months before I started school just to pay in-state tuition? Why should other people from other states who are here legally have to pay more in tuition than those who are here legally? So does that mean that they get a part of the Colorado Opportunity Fund as well...that's just great.

Anonymous

• Oops...meant to say 'than those who are here ilegally?' Typing to fast I guess.
    Anonymous

• Does not bother me a bit
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 7:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Of course not when either you or your someone in your family is an illegal
    Anonymous