Removing Wallpaper...

My husband and I have recently bought a home and are in the process of cleaning, painting and putting in new floors. All is well, except an AWFUL room covered in HORRENDOUS wallpaper. I have a scraper and some removing gunk that is supposed to do the job quickly, but it isn't really working. Any suggestions? What really works... I am so done fighting with this room! :0)

HistoryMamaX3

Asked by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• A steamer and than scrape it!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 6:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It really depends on the paper and on what they used to glue it to the wall. My whole house - yep, every room - was done in pink and grey paper. Every room was a DIFFERENT pink and grey floral wallpaper.
    What worked best for me was ripping off the top layer of the paper - sometimes vinyl, sometimes fancy paper until just the cardboard colored paper backing was left on the wall. Then I just wet that with water, let it sit for 10 minutes, and scrapped it off. This worked really well except in the one spot they used some awful type of glue to fix a peeling sheet.

Don't forget to wash the wall really well to remove any residue before you paint.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Thanks Kaycee... This room has this horrid blue print. Reminds me of funeral home decor. :0) It has to GO!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Don't forget to "score" it so the gunk can seep through and loosen the glue.
    Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 9:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yeah, score it with something like a utility knife, steam it and it ought to come right off. Most wallpapers sold in the last 20 years comes off pretty easy, but there are a lot of houses with some really, really old wallpaper in them!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I just went through this. My husband had to steam while my father scraped. It was pure hell from what I could tell and it took them an entire day - 6-8 hrs- to get it down. Finally, in one of the rooms there was just wall paper on one wall and so my father bought a special primer and primed it, then painted right over it and you can never tell. Not even when I tell people..

Good luck!
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2009