short cervix updated question? need info/advice

short cervix?

so i went into L&D today to get looked at, they did a NST and baby is fine, but when the doc did a genital exam she made a comment that my cervix was short and gave me a shot to strengthen my baby's lungs, i have to go back tomorrow. she mentionned the baby might come at 32-34 weeks..

what does all of this mean ? I'm new to this so please be as blunt or stupidify it as much as you want, I really need myself and my fiance to understand exactly what this entails, and I doubt either of us can wait a week to know a bit more.

should i abstain from sex, anything? the doctor in L&D didn't mention anything like that but I see my ob/gyn on the 8th, so any advice?

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 6:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do not have sex. It can mean a few things, but to be on the safe side, untill you talk to your actual Dr I would not have sex. Some women have a naturally short cervix, but it could also mean you are effacing already. Something you dont want to happen for a few weeks. I didnt catch your other post, but I assume you went in for preterm labor? If the Dr at land d gave you a shot for the babies lungs it tells me that they are worried about the baby coming early, I would put yourself on bedrest untill you know more. And when you go back demand soem answers, and make them tell you before you leave. Start writing them down now so you wont forget anything. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I would take as many precautions as possible but remember as long as you remain aware of what is going on your baby will be very likely to survive by 32-34 weeks. In fact by 24 weeks he/she could survive if he/she has medical help for those lil lungs...That is the ultimate goal.

If the doc didn't tell you to take it easy he must not be too worried about it, so don't get stressed, just take it easy. Keep baby in there as long as you can.

LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009