My daughter drinks too much milk.....what can I do to make her eat more solid foods?

amanda62382

Asked by amanda62382 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't offer her milk all the time? Don't make it readily available.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I measure my son's milk daily into a container with a lid. That's all he can have, and when it's gone, he gets water. He only gets 8oz a day, so it doesn't usually last past lunch!
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• She will drink juice and water throughout the day, but she definetly wants her milk to get full. I offer food and snacks all day, she will munch a lil bit but wants milk most of the time.
    amanda62382

Answer by amanda62382 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Our LO did the same thing, especially when teething. Also, he's still trying new textures and tastes, and mostly wants his milk. He's a healthy, thriving boy, not overweight, full of energy! I liked the idea of measuring the milk, (did do it for a while, but then with teething, kind of stopped) but at this age would probably do 16-24 oz. She is 18 mos and still needs the milk fat for development, at least until 2 y/o. My niece seemed like she lived on milk until she was 3, but is a "big girl" now and is eating them out of house and home! (Age 4, a little thin, no health problems) LOL! Mothers breastfeed until 2 yrs or more. You know her best, good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• How old? If she's over a year, I would just offer one 8 oz cup 3 times a day, not right before meals. Make it a set time of day, and she'll get used to it. At that age we gave our daughter milk first thing in the morning (then didn't make breakfast for an hour after that), right before her nap, and right before bed. When we started potty training, we made it wake up, then 4 oz mid morning, 4 oz after nap, and another cup of milk with or right after dinner.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Thank you all for all your answers and advice. Much appriciated!
    amanda62382

Answer by amanda62382 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Thats not good. My daughter was doing the same. She was drinking 4-5 8 oz milk bottles a day. She got a yeast infection and the pediatrician said she was drinking too much milk. She told me to offer her milk only during meals and for bed and make it less than 8 oz.
    So now I give her 4 - 6oz of milk in her sippy cup for breakfast, lunch, dinner and bed and water and apple juice any other time
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009