How can i stop this

my puppy will eat our cats poo right out of the kitty litter. we have one cat that does not cover it up for nothing and sometimes she will get those but other times she will go for the ones that are covered. Here is my problem. I can't baby gate where the kitty litter is, if I got a covered kitty litter I don't know that the cats would go into it because they are picky, and we can't watch the dog all the time. So does anyone have any suggestions on how i can stop this. Another problem is that our kitty litter is in the kitchen which is linoleum but i can't move it to the bathroom becasue it is carpeted? We do have a downstairs but we never use it excpet to do laudry and it would be a pain in the butt to haul the kitty litter down stairs all the time

ntschetter

Asked by ntschetter at 7:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pets

• scent the kitty litter with something puppy doesn't like? I know they have this bitter apple spray to keep them from peeing somewhere, i assume they wouldn't eat that... another option may be to keep puppy tethered to you. It;s how you train them to behave in any given room. (I learned this in puppies for dummies and now my dog pretty much stays where I told him he could.)

You keep him on a leash and either have him tied to you or to "his part" of the room. If you are all in the living room, set up a space for him with a bed. leash him by his bed and make sure you give hima treat or toy to make him like his spot.... do the same in the kitchen and make sure his spot is far away from th ekitty litter.

My dog is almost always right beside me or my oldest daughter. because we were the ones he was tethered too during his training. Good Luck
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• how about hauling the kitty litter dwn to the basement once week or evry 2 weeks or so whn u buy it? That's not often. Dogs just tend to do that disgusting habit. Mine do it to each others poo, I have two dogs and one cat. And I had a cat and a toddler,other times two dogs 1 cat 1 baby plus 2 other kids. Or get baby gate that has suction cups on four corners. open it to fit a doorway's width of an acceptable room. Then raise it about five inches off floor so kitty only fits under it to get to litter box. Another suggestion, if u have a closet u can leave as his in a room that you can gate off for baby leaving space for kitty, then kitty can use litter box in closet and baby if he gets in thru gate to that room might be interested in other no no's and not get as far as that closet. You could also close up to small, baby gates and surround gates around table legs, a coffee table against a wall, pulled away bit for kitty.
    Anonymous

• I would just try try the covered kitty litter box. You don't know that they won't like it...try setting the lid next to the box for a week and let them get used to it. Then move it to the top of the box. I bet it works.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• During travel we tape a newspaper over the opening of our cat's litter box and he just pushes through it to litter himself. I've trained my dogs to understand no also with a gentle room temperature splash of water on the dog's shoulder from a squirt bottle, keep several through your house in strategic places ready to grab and use. The gentle squirt on a shoulder or even back doesn't hurt at all - it's not hot at all or ice cold - but the water is felt and my dogs learned their no's.
    Anonymous

• maybe you could raise the box some, outta the puppys reach?
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• lol, i call that tasy little snack( at least it is in my poms opinion) kitty snickers. my nasty cat wont cover his poo either and since pom was a pup , he would indulge in the kitty snickers every time he got a chance. eeewwww! i finally had to put it in a room that i blocked off with a pet gate so my dog does not have access to it. i had a friend who had an unused closet in the hallway and she put the litter box and stuff in there and installed a small pet door so the cats can go do their business in private and the dogs didnt have access to it.
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 9:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2009