Potty Training....

Ok, so my son pees all over the house, poops on the porch and makes a big mess! My mother says I need to bring him to where he left his mess, spank him, bring him to the rest room and tell him "this is where you go potty"! This just doesn't seem right to me! I tell her hes not a dog. Im so frustrated. She said this method works. I cant help but think my mother is full of crap! Anyone ever use this to potty train?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it sounds like he's not ready yet. make potty trainins simple and easy and not a fight. still with diapers of pull ups take him to the potty on a regular basis, ask him to sit and try it out. if he doesnt want to dont force him, it will only make him hate it. i WOULD NOT ever spank a child for a potty accident, you may teach him that going potty is bad and he'll have issues with it forever. take him potty every hour or so. have him sit and just talk with him, sing to him, anything to relax him. even if he doesnt go tell him he did good and at least he tried. when he does go on the potty get excited and cheer for him. come up with a simple reward that you can keep up when he does it. example: i give my girls a small marshmellow for pp potty success and 2 of them for poopy potty success. they have succeeded a few times. but i am following their pace.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• No. Is there anything he does beforehand to forewarn you that he's gotta go? If I were you...Id take him to the bathroom every 10-15 minutes. Even give him more to drink so you know he has to go...then once he gets the hang of it and the more he does it w/your help, he'll be doing it on his own in no time. You just have to be on top of it for a few days. Good luck!
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 8:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2009