how long should i wait to breastfeed after drinking alcohol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't do it please....You don't have any breastmilk stored? Its better to be safe than sorry. Can you say hangover from the night before? Look how long that lasts.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• alchol leaves your milk like it does your blood. one drink 2 hours but you can buy breast milk test strips at target and other stores that tests for alchol. my advice would be store enough milk up for one day and one night just to be on the safe side
    sfewell09

Answer by sfewell09 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My doctor said 2 hours after having one beer or glass of wine, it's fine to feed your baby. You definitely don't need to wait a whole day and night. Also it metabolizes out of your milk just like it does your blood, so the idea that you need to "pump and dump" is a myth. If you wait long enough your milk will be fine. Check this out (she's a lactation consultant with a lot of helpful info on breastfeeding):

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• i agree with the ladies above me as far as try to pump before you drink. i personally did not breast feed and i wasnt old enough to drink when my son was around that age but a friend of mine would try to pump as much as possible before drinking. good luck :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Is the drinking really worth it?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• One drink? No waiting needed. Safe to drive safe to nurse is the rule.

VERY LITTLE of anything you consume passes through your milk.

Tons of good info on this and all things breastfeeding on kellymom.com. Bookmark it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think since it has shown to be NOT harmful if you take the proper amount of time, and since motherhood is a difficult job, and since you've already waited 9 months or more, and since all lactation consultants I've spoken with have given the ok, then YES it is worth it to enjoy a glass of wine every now and then.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• 1-2 drinks, no need to wait. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs PER DRINK. Don't listen to those who say not to drink. It's fine, in moderation. Don't go and get trashed, as you will not be able to nurse for quite some time, and you'll feel like garbage, which will make it hard to take care of a baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• if it is more than one drink pump and toss for 24 hours, i misunderstood and thought it was pump and toss one feeding, my 4 week old slept for 6 hours....oops
    Anonymous