question about episiotomy.

With my first I had an episiotomy and according to my doc "tore the rest of the way". It was very painful and took a long time to heal. i'm sure it was necessary but, I can't help feeling a little mad that my doc didn't even try to prevent having to do this. She just automatically did it. Anyway, my question is. . . I would like to try to avoid having one with my second delivery. Do you think because I had one last time I will need one again or will I "tear" more easily this time? Has anyone had an episiotomy the first time and not the second?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had one the first time and healed so slowly! The second time my doctors didn't do it. Said it was better this way. It did heal more quickly than my first. Congrats and good luck
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I had one with my first, but not with my second or third. In alot of hospitals it is not "normal" practice as it once was, check the procedures at the hospital, they might have changed as well. You can also tell the DR. that you dont want one, and they should repect your wishes, I would check on that too
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Epis are no longer recommended as routine practice, as they do not provide the benefits that they had thought they did - but many OBs are not quick to change their habits and beliefs no matter what information is out there. It is very common for an epis to cause a tear that is worse than a "natural" tear would have been, and they do not generally heal as well as a tear.
    Talk to your dr about your concerns, and ask them what their epis rate is. If they are cutting most of their mothers, then they are overusing what should be a rare procedure. There are things that can be done to reduce the chance of tearing: waterbirth, warm compresses on the perineum, pushing only with the urge, and NOT pushing reclining with weight on your tailbone. Best positions to avoid tearing are on hands-and-knees, and lying on your side. Talk to your dr about the possibility of self-directed pushing, in the position of your choice.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Talk to your doctor and request that an episiotomy only be done if it's 100% necessary. Otherwise you would just like to tear naturally. It will heal much better than an episiotomy.

But sometimes they can save your butt (literally) my sil absolutely refused an episiotomy and tore up wards. If the doctor was allowed he could have done a small episiotomy to redirect the tear downward. Now my sil is wearing depends at age 24. fun! fun!

Anyway, if you are able to just tear naturally it should heal much better and not be so painful. Good luck, and make sure to discuss this with your doctor.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Episiotomies are RARELY necessary. I am serious, your doctor probably rushed it. I am sure your natural tear would have been less severe. An episiotomy increases your risks for a 3rd or 4th degree tear. (While they can still happen it doesn't happen as often naturally vs being cut).

Make your wishes known. Tell him you do NOT want a cut, he can NOT do it against your will. I am hoping you have a different doctor then the one before. Let it be known to everyone in the birthing room that unless it is 100 percent needed, you would prefer to tear naturally!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009