Growth Plate Fracture?

My son hurt his foot thursday. No clue what happened i pick him up from school and he was limping. He hasnt stopted. I brought him to urgent care Monday. They took x ray and that showed nothing. The doctor said to bring him back to his reg pedi today if he was still limping. So i did and she is sending him to a pedi ortho. She said he could of fractured his growth plate and not of shown up on the xray. So my question is how would they tell if he did? Is it even possible he can run jump hop everything on it without hurting but when he walks he limps. he does complain it hurts every once in awhile. The doctor said i could cancelle the appt if his limp gets better. Should i still bring him even if it gets better by the appt.I know growth plate fractures can cause problems in the future. Thank You for all the help and sorry there are so many questions and its long.

irishluck112211

Asked by irishluck112211 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Health

• My son is famous for fracturing his growth plates! He has fractured his knee, thumb, wrist and currently has a soft cast on his left arm due to another wrist fracture. He just did it on Friday and it still hurts him. As for running, jumping and hopping on it....it would hurt him to do those things if it is fractured. I was told by my sons ped. to take him to an orthopedic in 2 weeks to have his wrist checked again. As long as it is no longer hurting him and he can use it completly than I am not planning on taking him. Hope that helped a little bit! :)
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 9:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• it did thank you....hope your son feels better.
    irishluck112211

Answer by irishluck112211 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son fractured his growth plate and it doesn't show up on a normal xray. Since he fractured his growth plate, he sprains his foot atleast once or twice a year. He has been to a pediatric sports medicine doctor and has been through physical therapy. He has developed Severs Disease, which has to do with how the bones and muscles grow in his foot. Causes pain and stiffness. He will outgrow it as he develops. He has exercises to do and has been told to play baseball because it will help his muscles strengthen and develop properly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2009