Okay so I have this phobia called emetophobia and it means that Im afraid to be around vomit or people who feel sick (including myself)..and I mean its so bad that I literally have about 6 anxiety attacks a day (just thinking about it! Or if something reminds me of it).. Well I am a proud mommy of 3 and right now my 2 oldest ones are visiting their great grandma =) (ages 4 and 20 months) and they will be coming home on April 14th or so..

Now for some odd reason Ive been honestly dreading them coming home..I guess because instead of being happy and seeing them healthy..I sit there and worry about them getting sick (and its not as easy as you think to just NOT think about it..or worry about it!)..

I have been going to see a therapist about this phobia and I am actually on zoloft (for both depression and anxiety) and I have been talking to the doctor about this feeling but so far we havent gotten to far in making me "forget"

Is there anything I can do to make me "feel better" or get over this feeling?? I want to be excited about my kids coming home but Im not =( I honestly cry just thinking how I dont care..but I dont know how to get rid of this feeling..

Any advice? Please no negative advice..believe me I feel like a bad mom..I dont need to be reminded of it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your not a bad mom, but this just sounds like a problem that a professional needs to help you with.

I see that you have a therapist, and thats great.

I guess the only thing I could mention is to slow yourself down and think "what is the worst that could happen" b/c most of the time if you answer that question you will see that its not as bad as your mind lets it get carried away with....

I am not a therapist, but that is all I could think of.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Maybe a different medication? If you are on something, and it's not working, then, discuss a change with your doctor. Lexapro is good for anxiety, if you and your doctor are open to trying a new medication.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You need to try and occupy you mind with other things. You need to focus on your future and quit worrying about "What if's" When you have those thoughts try and tell yourself that thought is not rational, nobody is sick right now! You are essentially wasting your life worrying about this happening, find something to enjoy about life, read, take classes, get out of the house and take a walk. I have had depression and anxiety, being a mother is hard and dealing with sickness isn't easy for anyone but you are in a way torturing yourself with these thoughts. I think the Zoloft isn't working, sometimes you have to try a few meds before one works for you since everyone's body reacts differently. See if you can switch to something else and that might solve the whole problem for you. I hope this helps you in some way, hang in there!
    Gabrielle00

Answer by Gabrielle00 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Have you talked to your therapist about using self-hypnosis? If not, I would recommend it - at least as an option to help you deal with the thought patterns that are leading to the anxiety.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009