Does a urinary infection hurt while peeing?

My little girl (2yo) cries horribly WHEN she pees. Then she will say for several minutes after that her bottom hurts. There is no visible red or irritated area "down there". I've never had an UTI, so I don't know if I should take her in to see doc. She is still potty training, but will no longer sit on a toilet, since she was scared so much by the "magic potties" at WalMart...grrr I hate them! So she wears either a pull-up or diaper. When she wets she will ask to be changed, or do it herself, then she asks for lotion (A&D ointment) so like I said, no redness or irratation, but it really seems to hurt when she pees...... Help?

frasermom23

Asked by frasermom23 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes it can. When I had one it felt like I was peeing razors and glass!! I would for sure take her in.

As for the toilets... bring along little post it's in your purse and cover the sensor so it doesn't flush while she is on the toilet
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• very possibly a uti, take her to the doc, they will test her pee, if it is she will get antibiotics
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes, take her to the doctor tomorrow!! UTI's hurt like HELL when you pee!!!! And it hurts for a minute after you pee!!! She needs some medicine!! In the meantime, have her drink Cranberry juice....it can be a Cran-grape or Cran-apple...whatever she will drink as long as it has cranberry in it.
    Hope she is feeling better soon!!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 9:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• That can totally be a symptom. It's most likely a uti. I would get her in to the doctor. I've had so many uti's with so many different symptoms. You don't have to have all of them, just one or the other.

When I was pregnant with my first I had so much pain on my right side my OB told me to get in to the ER asap (it was a Sunday night so he wasn't in the office) because he thought I had appendicitis by the way I described the pain. Turned out it was just a uti. That was a lot of pain for a pesky little UTI.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes it hurts terribly. It makes you want to gasp with the pain, and it hurts afterwards, too. And then you feel that you have to go again in a few minutes. If I had one I'd go, as I have in the past when it was after doctor's hours, to an urgent care clinic or to the ER. Yes it is that painful and can't wait.

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• OH Dear! I feel like such a bad mommy now! Will take her in the AM to see doctor. My poor baby! As for Cranberry Juice... don't have any! I have an allergic reaction to it, so I never buy it, and the kids prefer to drink water or milk over juice or any of the juice "drinks".
    ,,,awww I just want to cry with her, thinking she is in pain!
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It's okay if you don't have cranberry juice, just make sure she's drinking a lot of water. Keep a sippy cup or a cup with a straw near by so it's easy (and fun?) to take sips of water all day and night. Water is seriously the greatest way to beat a UTI, and it makes it less painful when your urine is more watered down. Good luck, bless your heart I'm so sorry.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Yes it can. Call the doctor and have her checked out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009