How often do you remind your kids to stay away from strangers?

Just before you read this: my dad is an outstanding kind man.

He was at home today and a little girl about 8 was riding her bike and fell going down a hill, she scraped her knees, hands and face up really bad.

Dad recognized the little girl as a neighbors around the corner, so he loaded her up in his truck and put the bike in the back and drove her about 30 seconds down the road to her mom who was doing gardening.

The mother knows dad well, and thanked him for driving her home, but after the mother checked her dd out and made sure she was ok, she went all over her for taking a ride from my dad, b/c SHE didnt know who he was.

Dad was just trying to be nice, he didnt realize it was going to get her in trouble. But it made me think, when a kid is in a bad situation like that, they are more vunerable to "help" from anyone.

You think your kids will do the right thing, but maybe not. Just passin along a reminder!

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Good example! My kids are talked to about strangers ALL THE TIME...more so since spring is here and we're outdoors more. They know they are allowed to accept help from the neighbors that they know and they know everyone WE know. If mom and dad don't know them, they're not allowed to talk to them. I'll have to give that scenario to them and see what they say....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I don't think it's helpful to tell kids not to talk to strangers because just who really is a 'stranger'? If they need help - who can they ask if they know no one. Plus most abuse occurs at the hands of someone the child already knows.

It's better to teach kids things like - an adult should not be asking a child for help. So if someone asks them to find a puppy or other thing - do not trust them. Teach a child that if a car they don't recognize starts to pull over the child should run away. If they feel threatned by someone, make lots of noise and attract attention.

It's best to teach a child to trust their instincts - if someone makes them feel uncomfortable ('stranger' or neighbor) they should trust that feeling and avoid that person - and tell an adult. And parents should practice situations with their children to help them learn.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• An Intersting article from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: "Child Safety Is More Than A Slogan: “Stranger-Danger” Warnings Not Effective at Keeping Kids Safer"

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• every time my children go outside to play which is almost eveyday, i remind them about not get close to a stranger in a car, not helping them look for thier puppy etc.
    i give many clear exaples to them, i dont like the blanket statement of "dont talk to strangers" we go over what to do if someone were to grab them.etc
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 6:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2009