• In the Spotlight:

Is 2 jars of stage 1 baby food too much??

my 5 month old eats formula for breakfast, applesauce for lunch with some formula, then carrots with formula for dinner. My question is how much baby food should i give him? he is always so excited to eat the food and basically inhales the whole jar so my mom just feeds him the whole thing but i dont wanna overfeed im sure he is so excited because it tastes great. thanks!

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 9:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is too much for his little 5 month old tummy. I'd look online for feeding guidelines. Try heinz or gerber or another brand you use. Also ask your dr if they have feeding amound guidelines.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• As long as he is getting the amount of formula your pediatrician recommends- 2 jars is fine. I know my baby didn't eat that much at that age- but every baby is different. I don't know how big he is or anything. But at his age- most of his nutrition should come from formula to make sure he's getting enough of everything he needs! If he is eating enough formula in a day- then I think 2 jars is fine!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My daughter was definitely not eating that much at 5 months. I agree with AmandaH321- look online for feeding guidelines.
    lovepink26

Answer by lovepink26 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You might also try switching over to stage 2 (they are only larger) and maybe increasing the amount of formula by 2oz.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• he eats 6 oz of formula every feeding. weighs 18 pounds.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 11:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Talk to your pediatrician but mine said its ok. He was eating 2 to 3 jars at a time and I was worried about overfeeding but my pediatrician said they will let you know when they are full. Dont force feed them but let them eat until they are done.
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think its fine IMO.. mine eats about 1 1/2 stage 3 jars and about 4 oz of formula 2 times a day Its what you think is ok and if your worried call your dr and ask if its too much
    thedivinemizm

Answer by thedivinemizm at 4:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2009