• In the Spotlight:

DS got a splinter in his foot

Do I need to do anything? Like try to get it out or will it be fine to let it come out on its own? he's 15months

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd get it out. Soak the foot for about 20 minutes in warm water then use a sterilized needle. Cover the wound with antibacterial ointment and a bandaid and watch for infection. Or take him to the doctor and have it done if it is very deep. If it is deep then the doctor will need to check that it is all out. and then there is the question of tetanus shot if there is much chance of infection. But for little splinters that's what I'd do. You'd have to decide what you prefer. Don't wait for it to come out on its own, though.

Answer by Bmat at 10:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• he will be ok :) You can try but kids usually won't sit still long enough and it becomes dangerous lol, if you want you can buy prid its homeopathic drawing salve.You can get it at Walmart. lather it on and put a band-aid on and wait 24 hours for the stuff to pull it out naturally.

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Get it out. I had to take my son to the doctor to have one removed because it was from out treated wood deck. I just about passed out when they took it out. It seemed to be longer than his little foot was. If it is from treated wood, it must come out...wood is treated with arsenic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• His body will work it out, but if it is bothering him then take it out. I've heard of people using sticky tape to get them out with rather than a needle or tweezers. It works pretty good if there is part of it still sticking out.
    luckcharm

Answer by luckcharm at 10:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2009