How can i not drink around an alcholic friend?

I have a friend that is an alcholic.I used to be one very bad.She always has to drink when we hang out.We pretty good friends so i would hate to end the friendship just because she drinks.My question is how do i not drink with her when we hang out?Its very tempting for me when i see her drink.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Ask her not to drink around you plain and simple. When i stopped smoking I asked my smoker friends not to smoke around me and they didn't. If she's your friend she will respect you enough to not drink around you.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You have to decide this for yourself. If you can't handle being around her drinking, you may have to stop hanging with her until you feel comfortable enough to be around her or others in a drinking setting. Tell her. If she is a true friend, she'll understand that you can't 'hang out'. Maybe you guys can still be friends, just in different settings like shopping and going to lunch. It's that's too boring, then find some new friends. You have a new lifestyle now, that means the surroundings unfortunately have to change too.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• If she's a true friend then she'll make the effort on her own to stop drinking around you. Now that you've decided to stop drinking you'll have to sort out your true friends from your "drinking buddies." You can't force her to do anything. If she decides that she was a drinking buddy and not a friend then that's a real shame, but it's not worth you falling off the wagon for.

Good luck, and congrats on your sobriety. That's great!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• You flat out say "I have a problem saying no to alcohol and when I see you drinking it, it is really tempting, so I've got to ask you to either not drink around me till I'm strong enough to know I can say no, or I've got to let our friendship go".
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Communication! Be honest! You might find that through that honesty, you can help her!
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• go to an AA meeting they will help you threw this.
    Anonymous

• ASK HER NOT TO DRINK AROUND YOU  REAL FRIENDS LISTEN AND CARE ENOUGH  TO DONT DO IT IF ITS HURTING YOU AND IF SHE DONT THAN YOU DONT NEED THAT KIND OF FRIENDSHIP(YOU CAN TAKE HER TO GET HELP IF SHES WILLING)

R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2009