Should I shave my daughter's hair?

Supposedly if you shave a very young child's head, then the hair will grow thicker, according to my in-laws. I have naturally thin hair, unfortunately, and my mom always told me that it was because she decided not to shave my head when I was little. Is this true? Has anyone with thin hair ever tried this on their own children... I would hate to shave my daughter's hair for nothing. My in-laws tell us all the time that we should shave her head or she'll have thin hair forever!

msp12r

Asked by msp12r at 10:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ummmmmmmm April Fools to you Dear!
    Anonymous

• LOL I asked a hairdresser this and she told me it's NOT true. Ask a hairdresser.
    lovepink26

Answer by lovepink26 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son's paternal grandparents believe the same thing and while he was on visit there they actually shaved his head! (without my permission--needless to say I was livid and he is NOT allowed over there anymore) Its grown back and it is no more thicker nor does it grow back faster than before. Its an old wives tale.
    Anonymous

• I believe genetics plays more of a role than shaving heads! I have two boys (ages 7 and 5) and they have received their fair share of buzz cuts....my older one has the same thickness and thin hair texture as I do, while my younger son has thick, coarse textured hair like my husband!

When my older son's hair grows in it falls straight and flat. My younger son's hair looks like a porcupine when it grows out (so we keep it short--like a State Trooper!)

I wouldn't shave your daughter's hair...but I would probably keep it as a short bob with bangs--which could be pulled back with a barrette or small clip--which i think looks best with thin textured hair--looks neat and creates volume--instead of being all "stringy" looking.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• wives tail
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• It all has to do with genetics. Its not the same as leg hair or pubic hair that grows back thicker once you shave it. If you have thin hair...you'll probably be cursed with it your whole life. Its really not that big of a deal and so no I wouldn't shave her head. All that will come of it is that she'll look funny until it all grows back THIN again.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• that is SO far from truth - do NOT do that to your child - she is who she is -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• From what I know (i could be wrong).. Certain races/cultures/religions shave their kids head for various reasons... I believe Chinese may be one of them? and they are known for their thick hair & this is what it all comes from...
    Anonymous

• I thought the Asian race had thin light hair? Maybe it just appears that way. Interesting. Hmmmm.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• We cut my DD's curls at about a year to even her hair out. She had a long duck tail down the middle of the back and it was SHORT every where else. Everyone said that her hair would never be curly again because of that...well, she has Texas sized hair now! More curls than you can imagine. I don't know if the shaving the head thing is true or not, but cutting my DD's hair seemed to make a difference, imo.

Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 3:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2009