Overweight parents?

Do you think overweight parents set bad examples for their kids? And I don't mean like 20lbs overweight but like 200lbs overweight. I feel that they can't always effectivly parent their kids. They can't play with them, or run to catch them if need be. I'm not saying they don't love them I'm just saying I don't think they can be the best parents they are able to be. I'm aksing this cause I saw an overweight dad at the park today that when his child fell it took him over 7 mins or so to get up and walk the 5 feet towards her. The whole time the kids is screaming and bleeding. I went to help but the dad said "no,she's fine. I got it" When he finally got to the little girl he scopped her up and told her she could have Ice Cream on the way home to feel better. I think this is just bad parenting and setting this kid up for obesity. I don't like the mode of thinking that is "If it hurt feed it". Kids should learn other ways to cope.

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 10:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree. I do not doubt that obese parents love their kids but physically I don't think they are able to parent as well as they should be. Like you explained...what if his child was really really hurt? There is no way he would be able to get to her fast enough. I would hope these ppl try to lose weight...not only for their children's sake but for their own. And I hope they are not pushing their eating habits onto their children. I was just at Disneyworld last week and literally saw tons and tons of obese families...where the mom and dad were extremely overweight and so were all their kids. Its sad and sick.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• With the example you gave...I agree. That's setting them up for bad habits in the future.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Seriously, How dare you judge parents based on their weight? Just because one fat father offered his child an ice cream does not make every overweight person a bad parent. Thats like saying diabled people can't be good parents. Or single mother.
    Anonymous

• And some people don't always give food to make a child feel better either? Maybe he thought it was more serious and wanted to cheer her up? I have given my daughter a cookie after a bad accident... she deserved it. I don't do things like that for every little fall, and you can't know he does either.

I am not saying I don't agree with you, but not all obese people do this. Some have health issues, some are genuinely trying to do better.

My sister on the other hand, well she doesn't like to carry her son because he gets heavy and she's way way way overweight, etc. When he gets active she wont be able to keep up and I see her trying to make him lazy. I also see her feeding him junk all the time. THAT is irresponsible parenting (whether your obese or not).

I have seen families where the parents are obese, and children are too, and they are eating an awful lot of fast food. I think that is a bad example too.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think children do learn bad habits from their parents: such as kids with smoking parents are more likely to smoke etc.

I don't think that just because a person is obese means they are bad parents though, some could be, but it's not just because they are obese.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I do't recall her saying that just because someone is overweight it makes them a bad parent.....maybe I need my eyes checked again!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I know plenty of obese people that are awesome parents. How can you judge someone by their weight? You don't know why they are overweight, they could be on meds that cause the weight gain or they could have medical conditions. What you described is what a lot of parents do, not just obese parents.Not all obese parents are bad parents, I know "skinny" parents that do the same thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• I think it varies. I know a lot of larger people than me who are a lot more active.
    It's a mix of nature and nurture IMO.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 11:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• She's not judging EVERY overweight person. She is JUST saying that what she saw today was wrong. And I think it is too. If there is someone 200 lbs overweight, they can't run to catch their kid. They can't get up quick enough to catch them from grabbing a hot pan off the stove, or opening a stove that's cooling off. She didn't say EVERY overweight person is a bad parent. She said they cant effectively parent. She is completely correct. I'm well over 230 lbs, completely over weight by at least fifty pounds if not more. I'm over weight and agree. I might not be 200 lbs overweight, but yes I can parent just fine, and I'm sure plenty of over weight people also can. Just not all of them...
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• And yes, some people at normal weight also can not effectively parent. She didn't say they can't. She was just stating her opinion and asking others theirs. No need to bash about her OPINION no OPINION is wrong. it's hers not yours. Get. Over. It.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009