How long does PPD typically last??

I'm 3 months PP, and I thought FOR SURE it would have passed by now! I've been trying to just wait it out and let it take it's course, but now I'm thinking that it'll never go away. I never told my dr's about it, so now I can't get meds for it. They won't believe me now, I'm sure. I'm destroying any relationships I have around me, secluding people that care about me, because I believe they are just being nice bc I'm family but don't really care about me. I have no friends to talk to. It's just me in this big empty world. When will it end???????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• PPD typically lasts 2 years WITH TREATMENT. Some moms need to be on anti-depressants for years, some recover far quicker.

PPD can start anytime in the first TWO YEARS and after that, regular old depression can start anytime. At this point, your doctor will know you don't have the baby blues. He'll know it's PPD. Please, please, please - from someone who has been there - go get help TOMORROW! Both you and your beautiful baby deserve a happier you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Why won't they believe you?? I went on meds when my DD was 5 months old...it hits at different times....you need to talk to your doc about it...Its worth it. Don't ruin relationships around you b/c of it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• PPD can happen ANY time with in the first year. Your dr will give you meds I promise. I am 4 months PP and suffered from PPD. My midwife prescribed me zoloft. I promise you it will go away but if you get on some meds it will go away faster. Go tomorrow to your dr don't wait any longer you don want to risk it gettng worse. It's nohing you can control... It's a sickness just like diabetes. Email me if you have any questions I love talking to other women that are going through what I went through. Kaitlyn.altman@gmail.com
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 2, 2009