1 yr old wont eat solids

i've been breastfeeding her since birth and have tried introducing her to solids around 4-6 months but she never reallly liked it. i didnt want to force her because i figured she was getting most of her nutrition from me anyway. yesterday she turned one and instead of weaning her, i'm still her primary food source. she only likes eating those little gerber puffs and absolutely will not touch anything else. she hates the puree'd baby foods and will only taste mashed potatoes. i want to be sure she is getting the proper nutrition before weaning her off breast milk. she likes fresh bananas and mashed potatoes only. i want to try and feed her other things but am afraid she'll choke because of her lack of experience eating solid foods. does anyone have any similar experiences or advice for a worried mommy of a finicky 1 year old girl?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What about breast milk and rice cereal or oatmeal? My daughter refused solids for a long time but i weaned her with breast milk and cereal, fresh bananas, and sweet potato baby food. She will get it, but when a baby turns one does not always mean that they are ready for the change. Do it at your own pace that way you are both comfortable with the change.

brees3

Answer by brees3 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Try making her baby food. I bought a magic bullet so that I could blend all of our left overs from dinner and would give my son that. Plus it saved a lot of $$. I bought frozen veggies, steamed them, added a little water and blended them as well. He always ate the things I made him, and very rarely would eat the jar stuff, like only if he went all day with out snacks if we had been out and about. He'd eat a jar of the stage 3 stuff. I could never get down the stage 1 stuff, it always just fell right out of his mouth.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• My son is 15months and he was like this too. For starters take a free class at your local hosptial on infant CPR to feel comfortable about giving her foods and you will be able to handle the situation...she will choke they all do I've done the baby hymlick about twelve times. They eat fast and forget and they are still learning. Secondly....since she is now one let her help. At this age helping is more a play on words. Let her think she is helping make her own food, my son loves to help and he eats everything that way. Let her nipple on what your preparing. Try cute shapes, try smoothies my son LOVES smoothies just started doing them yesterday actually you have throw in a veggie or two and she will never know lol. No more purees thats baby stuff and thats probably why she aint eatin it. Try speghetti-os my son loves those. Or a whole apple pile it and take off the stim and the bottom stim....my son goes to town on a whole appl
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• they cant choke because they can only bit as much as they can chew. GL hun I have more ideas for snacks and meals just message me if you want them.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009