My son does the opposite of what I tell him

My 18 month old son loves do do stuff that he knows he's not suppossed to do, like jumping off the couch or poking his 2 month old brother. Whenever I tell him to stop, he looks at me, grins, and does it again. I can tell him NO repeatedly, and even give him a butt smack and he will still just laugh and do it again. Any advice on how to get him to listen better?

tgleason4

Asked by tgleason4 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son did this too.. i believe its the age he is two and a half now and doesnt really do it now.. but i would show him you mean business.. i dont know some wont agree with me but if you tell him no or please dont do that and he doesnt lissen then next time you say if you do that again its nappy time i dont know worked with my son cause he wanted to play..
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• He's doing it because he wants your attention, and that is how he's getting it. All todlers do this. This make sure you are giving him plenty of positive attention. He also might be feeling jealous of the new baby. My little boy sure did. He wanted to throw toys at his baby sister when she was two months old. I would send him to the corner for about a minute. It quickly stoped. Plus I try to make sure we still have alone time while my 4 month old is napping where he and I just play.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Time out. It's the age - you need to deprive him of your attention. Remember that even a smack or yelling is attention.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Sounds like you have a normal 18 month old. Be proactive. When you tell him no, show him what he *can* do. "No. No poking the baby. Let's play peek-a-boo with him. Like this. Can you play peek-a-boo?" Toddlers, especially ones that are now sharing attention with infants, crave attention. Give him good attention, praise good behavior, redirect instead of just verbally correcting. And then, understand that testing boundaries is a very normal and healthy developmental milestone.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2009