Does anyone homeschool their special needs child?

My son has strong language and reading delays. The school is useless and I am thinking if he was learning at home instead he would do better. It is hard to make them go to school almost 8 hours and then come home to homeschool because their teacher refuses to follow an IEP. So I am thinking of possibly pulling him out of the school system and homeschooling.

If I homeschool him could he still get special services like speech and PT? I am working on getting those outside of the classroom anyway but wondering since they still get the tax dollar set aside for him as a child in the district if he could still get the services.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• First of all the teacher can not prevent him from being tested. You need to go above her. To the district special education office. If you need to get an advocate.

If he qualifies for services then the district must provide them no matter what type of school he is in. They must go to him to provide the service.

Search the term Wrights law and that will give you some information.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Um..the teacher is NOT allowed to refuse an IEP!! Go to the school district and tell the special education department what is going on!

As for services and homeschooling...I'm not positive here because I've only dealt with CPSE, not CSE...but you should be able to request where he receives his services. I was able to with my second son because they wanted to give him his services in preschool, but he's not old enough for UPK, so he's home. (can't afford to pay for preschool every day, and if I'm paying for preschool, I'm not going to pay for them to pull him out an hour of 2 1/2!!)

Definitely call the special education department. The teacher not allowing an IEP is...OMG I'm ticked for you!!! That's messed up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• They all sat in the IEP meeting while his teacher called him lethargic and basically lazy (she bit her tongue I think to avoid getting slapped) and she is clueless. Everyone bows down to the teachers because they are union protected and the special needs dept. is out sourced and can be replaced any time by another agency. They use a loophole in the law about keeping him with mainstream students and his current IEP doesn't have specific times just as needed and the prior team knew as needed meant more then less. So they use that to avoid pulling them out. Actually everyone wants him pulled out except his teacher. Someone mentioned homeschooling and it is starting to sound like the way to go. I just would hate for him to lose his speech therpaist.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Check out the Happy Homeschoolers group on CafeMom. There are thousands of moms there that homeschool and I'm sure you'll get more responses (not that these were bad).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There are a lot of moms on here who homeschool special needs children. I friend on mine locally does, and she still gets therapy paid for by the school. I agree with the previous poster, check out Happy Homeschoolers group. They have a forum for potential homeschoolers where you can ask your questions.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My daughter does and things have gotten better for my grandson. He is way avanced and much happier. Schools are not equipted to help some kids. They put my grandson in a slow kids class, he was reading 4-grade in the first grade and hes math was also advanced. STUPID !!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2009