How do I get my baby sleeping??

My baby is 7 months old, and she used to sleep really well as a small baby. Even enough to transition into her own crib at 4 months. Now, She WILL NOT fall alseep on her own, and if I happen to rock her to sleep, and get her down to her crib without waking, she only sleeps for about 45 min MAX. Daytime, she naps like 3 30 min naps because I can't get her to take longer ones. I'm SO exhausted I'm losing my cool. I feel like I'm going to lose my mind.
We've tried letting her cry, and that not only just works her up to choking and gagging, but then I'm crying with her too. HELP!!!!

LilysMilkMama

Asked by LilysMilkMama at 11:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a sling? Wearing your baby in a sling or other carrier can free you up to have your day while meeting baby's needs - also many babies who are worn often during the day end up sleeping better during the night (even if they nap more in the carrier!) If it's not something you're used to, it might seem inconvenient, but wearing a content baby and going about your day is a lot more convenient than a hysterical baby and a frazzled mama with clashing needs. Babywearing might just be the thing that lets EVERYONE get their needs met, all at once. And I promise: she won't still expect you to have her in a carrier to nap when she's a preschooler!! Babyhood is very short. Very, very short. I know it doesn't seem like it when your in the trenches of a rough stage, and tired and stressed yourself... but nothing that is happening now lasts forever. The needs she has now are not the ones she will have a few months from now.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

It is normal for sleep patterns to change.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my little routine for bed is a nice warm bath about a hour and half before i wanna lay him down then i give him about 3 teaspoons of warm ceral than about a half and hour later a bottle than we head back to his room try to keep it dark and keep convo to a limit. good luck!
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• getting her onto a routine is the best thing you can do for your baby..it may take a while for her to respond to it..but she will..i had my daughter on one from prety much the day we came home from the hospital..doesnt have to be the same time everyday, cuz that young things happen..but as long as oyu do the same things in the same order..thats all that matters..i always gave mine her bath around 730-8..then i rubbed some of that johnson and johnson bedtime lotion on her..(worked great and smelled awesome) then we cuddled for an hour or so, then bottle, and bed...good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I know most parents are against it, but I put my 6 month old to sleep in the bed with me when she is fussy or not sleeping well. She goes right to sleep as long as she is cuddled up to me and I am happy to have that extra cuddle time too! When I put her in her bed I put a stuffed animal or rolled blanket up against her chest and stomach or swaddle her so she still feels cuddled up in her bed. Good Luck!!
    bribrat85

Answer by bribrat85 at 5:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• As others have said, changes in sleep patterns are normal, especially just before growth spurts or other developmental changes (this is when mine started talking). My daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours. When babies wake, they need your reasurrance that you are there and that you love them. We practice our own version of attachment parenting, and are strongly against letting babies cry it out, and are in favor of co-sleeping (as long as you get sleep and don't get too crabby).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my opinion is that its normal for some babies to have trouble sleeping at some point. look into it,maybe there's a reason for wich your little one cant sleep. maybe her tummy hurts,or maybe she's teething...i remember when my son started teething,he started having the teething pain when he was about 3 months old...and God he just wouldnt go to sleep,he wouldnt eat,he wouldnt stop crying...and it didnt get better. but like everyone else said. the baby needs a routine. the first week is harder. but after that,both you and her will be rested and resting most of the time. try the bedtime routine(bath,bottle,bed). i know it works. my son doesnt take long naps during the day,hes very energetic.he'll sleep for maybe have an hour every 4-5 hours. so he doesnt really sleep. and i never put him in his crib if he's already asleep. i put him in the crib when he's still awake,i tuck him in,i kiss him on the forehead and i'm out of the room
    cristinataflanc

Answer by cristinataflanc at 7:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• and so on until he falls asleep. if he cries,i come back to only put his pacifier in his mouth. and thats it. the first week was hard,i couldnt bear hearing him cry so much and just doint the whole,back and forth out of the room,but now he's all set. as for bedtime,no discussion,at 8:30 he's getting ready to fall asleep,he even starts yawning when i give him a bath...then he finishes the bottle and he's still awake when he goes to sleep...he just has good night and bad nights just like any other baby. just try the routine. i guarantee its gonna work.
    cristinataflanc

Answer by cristinataflanc at 7:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You know my dd is 14 months old a bit older than yours but she was doing this about a few weeks back. She was waking up every 30 minutes at night and then nap time she slept about almost an hour, but not quiet when she normally sleeps3 hours for nap. Here I took her to the doctor because she wouldn;t sleep and it was like a week like that well here she had an ear infection so maybe something is bothering her and keeping her awake.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2009