My toddler needs glasses....

Last week my 15 month old son's pediatrician said that when she shined the light in his eyes, the reflection in one of his pupils was not completely straight. So she referred us to a pediatric eye doctor and when we had our visit today, he said my son needs glasses, that he can see kind of ok, but not with a lot of clarity. It might correct itself, but probably not. So I'm pretty blindsided, he is my only child and as far as I could tell, I really thought he could see ok. I'm pretty lost regarding anything to do with glasses and very young children (neither myself or his dad ever had glasses). What are the best kind to get? How can I teach him to keep them on and not break them (chew on them, etc)? I know there are a lot worse things that could be wrong, but I'm still just kind of upset too. I just was not expecting to have to deal with something this till school age if at all. Any advice would be great!

Sandie0819

Asked by Sandie0819 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The eye doctor didnt recommend anything for him as far as what kind and such? Maybe call and ask him that would be your best bet. I am sure they make them with safe glass and make them very durable so the kiddos dont brake them...you will probably have to have the tie thingy on them to help them stay on ....GL stay strong mama
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• They have glasses that are "childproof" so they can bend them, drop them ec and they won't break. They also have the backs that fit over the child's ears (similar to how a hearing aid fits over it)
    Your doctor should be able to answer all your questions.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 3:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Find an optometrist who specializes with kids glasses. (our opthamologist...and I know I spelled that wrong has one partnered with his office)

My 2 year old and 5 year old both wear glasses (amblyopia and esotropia) They have frames which can almost be put into a figure 8. My middle son (the one with no glasses) found the ONE spot in them that would break...and broke my oldest's glasses...but those wearing them haven't broken them yet.

Don't clean them with your shirt. Use dish detergent and warm water to wash, and a soft cloth to dry.

Keeping them on might be a challenge, BUT....most of the time (I've been told) when a kid who needs them first puts them on they can see clearly for the first time and will just leave them alone!

Another trick is to put in a special movie. If he leaves the glasses on, he can watch the movie. If he takes them off, stop the movie. If you can keep them on him for 2 hours a day...cont
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ...2 hours a day for the first few days, you're doing well. The goal is to keep them on him a little longer each day and before you know it..he's forgotten about them. My oldest was 3 when he got them and it took us two days.

My youngest was about 19 months when he got his and he just left them alone. But he was just like his older brother, so.....he had a role model. lol

Let him pick out a glasses case. The glasses will come with a case, but places like Walmart even sell cases with characters on them so he can choose one that HE will like.

Watch his reactions...does he LIKE it when people mention he looks great in his glasses, or does it bother him when people draw attention to them? If he doesn't like it, then be aware and for a while stop people before they say any thing. He won't feel that way for long....

He'll be fine. You'll be fine. It's not a big deal, really...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My twin sisters both got glasses when they were about the same age as your son. They gave them little pink and blue break proof glasses with the little bands that go around their heads to help keep them on. For a few days, they would grab the glasses and try to pull them off, but within a week or so, they were used to them. It just takes getting used to, just like everything else at their age.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2009