How many naps?

My son is 2 years and he barely wants to nap. He goes to bed at 10, 10;30 pm and wakes up at 9;30 am. I try to get him to nap anywhere from 1 to 2 pm sometimes with luck he falls asleep with no trouble but other times he would not fall asleep and stay like that until night. Although when he does nap he is not cranky but when he does not nap he is so cranky is hard for him to fall asleep. So should he continue to nap or is he out growing it iand make the naping stop? Help please thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine didn't nap. He'd conk out on occasion, but no scheduled naps...ever. Just like me.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• He may be outgrowing it.
    I'd start setting a timer and have a quiet lay down time. He is to lay quietly until the timer goes off. Peek in at him before then and if he's asleep, turn the timer off. If he's not, let him get up when the timer rings. That gives him a chance to sleep and at least gives him (and you) a break.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I love the answer above..That is a great idea. it is possible he is out growing the whole nap thing. But kids need down time. Other wise they will keep going and going and because they are so tired at night they become fussy and it is harder to get them to go to sleep at night. (which could be why he dont go to bed until 10-10:30pm.)

My dd is 2. and she still takes naps she will go to bed from 9pm-8am (normally) and her nap is from 12-3 everyday.

You just need to find somethng that works for him. If you feel you really need a break but he dont wanna sleep you can do the timer like able. Or put a movie on somethng he likes..and he has to lay down for it to stay on. If he gets up..then it goes off
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My DD is also 2 and she does the same thing. Sometimes she'll nap (like right now) and some days, she'll just lay quietly for an hour or so. When she has been laying for a while, if she starts squirming, I let her get up.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 2:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009