how long did it take

until you realized that you TRULY love your child? Some people its right at birth some people its not until the baby is older than one.

today is the first day i looked at my son and i thought 'he is my world' how long did it take you? please no bashing even if it was instant for you realize that it isnt for everyone in the world.

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 11:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• He was a few months old. I had some serious issues with post partum. I didn't get any medical help but I should of. I didn't abuse him or be mean to him. I took care of him and fed him and everything but I didn't love him for real till he was like 4ish months old. Now he's 2 and I love him to bits, I'd kill the person that hurt him and I would do anything for him.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i get what you mean. i always loved my sweet boy but just recently when he has learn to give me kisses and hugs and show remorse when he hits me lol...it was then I realized wow this lil guy is everything.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• With my oldest it was almost instant, within hours. I think because she was born by c-section and I had that 3 days in the hospital to just get to know her. With my twins it was different. They were born prematurely and taken to the local children's neonatal unit.  I didn't see them until about 10 the next day.  Then I couldn't hold them for a week.  So it took a long time for that bond to form.  It really didn't hit me until they were home at 3 weeks.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• when i was pregnant, i never asked the dr any sorta questions about what to expect whats gonna happen stuff like that-cuz im the type of person that doesnt wanna know, cuz then i'll freak myself out...but i still did totally care..then when my daughter was born there were complications with her health, nothing serious, but still i was worried, and i asked my dr if my daughter was gonna be ok..and my dr replied "you didnt care your whole pregnancy and NOW you care?" i called her a bitch and sent her outta my room.. i was fucking PISSSSSED at her when she said that..and from that moment on i knew i loved my daughter SOOOO much
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i was honestly scared of my son when he was first born. i was so freaked out that this little screaming baby just came outta me that i didnt even wanna hold him for long, i asked my mom to take him. i instantly knew i would do anything for him, cuz he was my son, but when he was little & slept all day i still didnt know what to think. i think once he got to be about a month old and he could look at me and smile i really bonded with him and now i feel such a strong connection between us and i loooove him sooo much
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• For me, Im not really sure. She is almost 2 and I love her more than anything, but there is still the feeling that I will never get to experiance all the things that I wanted to do before having children. And there are days where I would really like to hand her over [like to someone in my family to adopt] but I know thats just me being selfish and ripped away from my college years so soon. [I was only 18 when I was raped and became pregnant with her].
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• yeah at first i felt like crap because i loved him, but i loved him but i didnt feel a connection i felt like his baby sitter. but i was battling PPD and my therapist told me that some people dont feel strong connections until their children are toddlers because not everyone is a baby person. but now that he can tell me what he wants (he doesnt talk but he'll pick up and bring me things and stuff) i dont feel like such a failure :] yeah it took me 11 months but at least i got there ;] hehe
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• When I was pregnant I already loved him. I constantly thought about his well being. But when he was born it was totally different. I didnt even see him the first day except for right after i had him then they wisked him away and I had to go to surgery because I was so torn. The next two days all he did was sleep. Only time he woke up was for a feeding which was only about twice and when I tried to breastfeed he just would not latch on. Once we came home all that changed, He still didnt latch for bf but he was awake more and I could bond with him. The first time he smiled at me I melted. Its still hard to believe he's MINE. I have 10 siblings so sometimes it feels like he's one of them. But now he gives hugs and kisses and its the best thing in the world!!!! I dont think i could love anything else anymore than i love this kid.
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• im so so sorry anon :21!!! if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me! i love to listen and help people
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• it took me about a week with my first dd.... but it was new. My second and third were near instant.

4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 2:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2009