How long.....

How long did it take you to really bond with your In-Laws? My husband and I just celebrated our five year anniversary this past weekend and realationship with MIL and BIL is still somewhat strained. There isn't any annimosity there its just not flowing like I thought it would by now. We live about 2 hours away, so we don't see them that often. Is this normal or is there some kind of social disorder in this relationship? How long did it take you?

actress

Asked by actress at 12:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you have to accept that it may never happen. It hasn't for me, and we have now been married more than 44 years. I think you stop expecting that you will ever be best friends with them. You love and respect them because they are your husband's family. When you are with them, you smile a lot and be polite. That's really all that is required.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It's been three years now that ive known them and I still dont get along with them...its so awkward being alone or trying to talk to them. I think it's normal..dont fret it
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have problems with my in-laws also. They are super religious and I am not, so we have no common ground. We don't argue, its just like we have to see each other because I am with their son, lol.
    wendydeb7

Answer by wendydeb7 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Bugs, when you say that you "don't get along", is there animosity between the two of you or is it just awkward?....I ask because we get along, but it's strained.
    actress

Answer by actress at 12:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have been married 14 years, they live nearby,and it still has not happened.
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• most of my husband siblings live a couple of minutes away and were going on our 8 year and we still dont have a relationship i mean i say hi and they say hi but thats as far as it goes .To work it has to be both ways me trying and they trying but  its just havent happened

R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2009