I'm a freakin' idiot. (Deli meat)

I knew that I'm really not supposed to eat Deli-Meat while pregnant, but for whatever reason it slipped my mind. I haven't eaten a lot over time, but yesterday I ate some of that pre-packaged turkey that comes in those Glad containers. The thing is, it had been about 10 days since it was first opened. I've never really known how long Deli meat stayed good for once the package stayed open. I've always thought 1-2 weeks tops, but now I'm not so sure. Either way, I'm not supposed to eat Deli meat unless it's heated first.

Anyway, should I panic yet? Lol. Oh, it's too late... I'm panicking...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just dont do it again you two will be perfectly fine!!!! :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Don't worry about it too much. I think it will be okay.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ive done the same thing for some reason since ive become pregnant i just love to eat deli meat but it slipped my mind also but i havent eat any since and i hope it remains this way until after the baby is born...it seems like things that you arent suppose to eat you always find yourself eatting them....you will be okay just make sure you stop
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Lol. The things you panic about when you pay attention to all the crap they say in those books. I've eaten deli meat just about every day through all of my pregnancies. The reason they tell you not to is because of listeriosis, which is actually EXTREMELY rare. And the very few cases are usually from the stuff you get sliced right in front of you in the deli, not from the prepackaged. Small delis aren't usually as good about cleaning their equipment as the big packaging plants.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You can eat deli meat if you heat it. I didn't know this with my first and ate deli meat the entire time. And then with my second, I didn't know I was pregnant for a while since my cycles aren't regular at all. I ate deli meat until I knew I was pregnant. Both of my babies are fine, I was fine. Try not to eat it anymore, and a little bit won't make the difference. You will be fine.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I will say that I followed almost every "don't do this or that!" rule during my pregnancy, but with the deli meat I half-did it. See, the whole thing is that the chances of getting Listeria are about the same as getting into a car accident. What I chose to do for ME (and I'm not recommending this, just sayin') is to use judgement. I cheerfully ate meat from any reputable deli (restaurant, grocery store, etc) that wasn't sitting out with no refrigeration. I ate Schlotzsky's maybe 800 times during my pregnancy - I had a slight addiction to the Albuquerque Turkeys!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Lol. Thanks ladies. I feel a bit better now. I figured eating some deli meat was alright in moderation, but it was the fact that it had been over a week since it was opened that freaked me out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I honestly never heard this (of course my last pregnancy was 8 years ago). I know I ate alot of it when I was pregnant
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Pregnant Woman Arent Suposed To Eat Deli Meat?
    Since When? lol
    i didnt kno that
    Cyarasmom

Answer by Cyarasmom at 3:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2009