I had GBS with my daughter and she ended up in the NICU due to other problems, I tested positive again I am worried that this child will end up in the NICU too to you all who have it did your baby end up in the nicu? or did you take the baby home the next day with yourself?

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hello there. i was positive for GBS as well. i had to have a c-section due to lack of dialation but everything was fine for my little one. As long as you get the antibiotics as soon as you start active labor, everything will be fine. If your water breaks on its own, you have to get to the hospital right away to get the antibiotics. How did labor go for you with your 1st? Was it quick or long?
    Jenerator

Answer by Jenerator at 4:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You said it yourself...she was in the NICU with "other problems".

I was positive for all three of mine. I had all three vaginally and they came home with me...even the 36 weeker. I had the antibiotics with them all, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I also tested positive for GBS, but as long as antibiotics are started as soon as your labor starts, you'll be fine, and the baby will come home with you...unless there are other problems.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I was positive with my son and he was fine. Also you don't have to get the antibiotics as soon as you're in labor but it's probably a good idea. They forgot that I was positive for it so they made me wait to push (after my water broke and I was ready to push) so that I could get 2 IV bags full of the antibiotic first. My son didn't have any problems.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I've been positive with all 6. None of them have ever needed a NICU stay. With the last two we didn't do any antibiotics, we opted for a rinse instead, and they didn't need any trips to the hospital(homebirths).
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2009