Is it bad if I don't feel like my 6 month old is ready for a 3 hr long drive travel? We're visiting DH's parents, but I just dont feel like our son is ready for that long of a drive, especially if it's going to be in the middle of the day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not bad your just concerned but you shouldnt be hun he/she will be just fine promise!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• 3 hours really isn't too long... but maybe for you baby.
    My son does 3 hours easily... never any problems at all. We feed him right before we leave and he usually sleeps the entire time. We have taken this trip (to see grandparents) since he was a newborn almost monthly.
    We are doing an 8 hour car trip on Monday... we'll see how this one goes!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Seriously? This will be the easiest drive you will have in about 15 years or so!! LOL! Enjoy it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It shouldn't be an issue at all. My daughter always slept during car rides at that age. We made many 3-4 hour trips when she was that age. If you're that concerned about it, you could always plan to stop for a meal half way through the ride, that way you can get the baby out for a little while.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• He'd probably just nap most of the way. My son was that age when we did a 14 hour trip. We did have to stop to breastfeed a few times, but he did fine on the trip. The trouble came after we got there, he had slept too much of the day, and didn't want to go to bed at night. And, no surprise, we were exhausted after all that driving. I don't think 3 hours should be a problem. Especially if you time it for a nap.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Oh and I forgot to add, my friend took her 4 month old on a car ride from South Carolina to Arizona during a move. They did fine. : )
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The car ride will probably put him to sleep. You shouldn't have any problems, but I can see how concerned you are. You may be worried if your DH will stop if you need to change a diaper, or feed, or whatever. Talk to him in advance. Give yourselves plenty of extra time in case you do stop. I will tell you, that I was going nuts about taking my (at that time) 14 m/o 2 hours away. He did fine. We left at nap time. He always slept 2 hours, ... perfect timing? Nope, I zigged when I should have zagged & added an hour to our 2 hour trip. We did stop at a restaurant with a playground, let him run, then loaded him back up. He was totally awake that last hour. You may learn on this trip that he can handle the drive, & that will give you a big sigh of relief! To answer your question, it wouln't be bad, but it sounds like DH's parents don't get to see the baby much and you may be glad in the end if you decide to go, (& sit in the back.)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• usually car rides will put your child to sleep. My son does 3 hour trips like its nothing and he's just turning 5 months old. I wouldnt worry about it. he'll be fine=)
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 2:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The older they get, the harder it gets.

Time the drive so it's nap time and go. He'll sleep through most of a short drive like that and if you have to make a stop, you make one. It adds maybe 20 minutes.

We did a 6 hour drive when my oldest was 4 months. Now that he's 5, it takes a little longer with more stops.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It's not bad to be concerned about your child. He will be fine though. I took my daughter on a 5 hr trip when she was 5 months old and she slept all the way there (except for when I woke her to feed her and change her diaper). Just make sure to stop along the way to feed or change him, of course. It is easiest if you travel during a time that they would normally sleep. I took my trip with just me and her and went at night. If possible try going the night before and staying with his family or at a hotel once you get there...but 3 hours really isn't that long so you should be fine, day or night. Just consider any traffic delays or weather that may effect your drive time. Good Luck!
    bribrat85

Answer by bribrat85 at 5:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2009