• In the Spotlight:

Gestational Diabetes.

I am getting my 2nd gluclose test in the morning but I don't quite understand some stuff about it. If I do have it, what will happen afterwards? He said it would help during birth but I dont get how? I'm 37 weeks and the baby is coming, like..pretty soon now !

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why did they wait so late to test? It is usually done at 24 weeks.
    GD can cause- low birth weight, excessive birth weight, difficult deliveries that result in broken bones, jaundice, low blood sugar in baby after birth, and stillbirth.
    It can sometimes be controlled with diet and exercise, but often the mother is put on insulin.
    Once you give birth, they will test your glucose levels and see if you have returned to normal. You are at risk for developing Type 2 within 10 years of your first diagnosis. Babies born to mothers with GD are at risk for juvenile diabetes as well. I've had it twice now...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Nothing will happen it goes away after birth but they say later on in life you will get diabetes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2009