• In the Spotlight:

Puppy potty training....Grr.....

Does anyone know an EFFECTIVE way to potty train a puppy. She's about 3 1/2 or 4 months old. We've tried the puppy pads on the floor, spanking, rewarding, we don't know what else to try. Someone please help before I give the dumb thing away. Is it just because she's too young still and it would be like trying to potty train a 6 month old baby? HELP!!!!

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 1:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pets

• I have a 5 month old puppy and we just take her out every 3-4 hours now but when she was a little younger we took her out every 1-2 hours. Praise the puppy like crazy (almost to the point where you look and feel ridiculous) when it potties out side give the puppy a treat so they know they did something good. Watch if you can when your puppy eats or drinks my pup has to go out about 15-20 minutes after eating or drinking or she will potty in the house. Just don't give up sometimes dogs it just takes them a while to catch on but I promise it will get better eventually. If you want to talk more about things that i have done you can message me
    ntschetter

Answer by ntschetter at 7:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• put her in puppy classes they will help you out. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Are puppy classes expensive?? Does it actually work??
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 2:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• im in the same boat as you..but i have 2 pups who are 3 months old...i put my other dog in dog school..obediance classes i guess they were..yaaa didnt do ANYTHING..it was about 150 for 8 weeks..and yaaa total waste of money!! as for the pups tho..have u tried getting that spray stuff?? so whenever they pee, ya clean it up, then spray the spray on it, and it makes them not wanna go in the same spot?? i was thinking about gettin that..but...i dunno, i cant see it actually working..best of luck to ya
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Have you ever heard of crate training? - This is what alot of people do where I come from. The dog spends most of it time in crate (this is a realy young dog) gets let out to eat and pee. Lots of praise when goes outside. I know dog trainers very well and they all do this. Ask your Vet - they will agree. P.S. it may seem mean but its not. Dogs LOVE their crate. You can put a blanket and small stuffed animal in there. Good luck.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:44 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Crate training is a great way to potty train. (this isn't the only way to do it, but is can be a great help)
    This is how I've potty trained all of my pups. When I got my last pup the vet told me that free-feeding will make potty training a lot harder also. Feed on a schedule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Housebreaking can be relatively quick, BUT it takes a huge effort on the part of the owners. My housebreaking tips are way too long so go here and check this out

http://www.whippetworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=215
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• This is too complicated for a thousand characters. I'm a dog trainer, I specialize in puppy potty training, PM me if you want advice.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have lived with dogs all of my life, and felt that I was fairly competent with raising my pets. That was until my male lab came into my life. I know all about alpha dog and being the boss, but this lab would give Marley (book, Marley and me) a run for his money. I haven't had such a terrilbe time of housebreaking any other animal ever! I have put him out for nearly an hour after eating when he is let in, promptly goes on the floor. I tried putting him in the crate, he takes a nap. open up the crate, promptly goes on the floor. He will go in my arms while running to get him out of the door. Oddly enough, he is fast to learn every other thing. He is 5 months old, and I know that he should be past this by now, and it helps to know that others are challenged, also. Regarding puppy classes, I have my lab in puppy class, and he loves it. He loves mingling with the other puppies and trying to get praise from the teacher.
    allboyz2me

Answer by allboyz2me at 10:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2009