Help! Just some caring, I know that is all that can be done

I'm afraid my stepdad is dying. He had heart attack 10 days ago, emergency bipass surgery 7 days ago, and he is still unconsious and not breathing on his own. (I'm so scared and worried and crying every now and then)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• As you approach the 14 day mark they will have to discuss the next step in more detail. After 2 weeks the vent gets dangerous and can cause errosion of the esophagus and damage to the vocal cords and if they feel he can recover then they will sit down with the family to discuss a trach. My dd's best friend, 12, is going into surgery in a few hours to have one put in, she suffered a brain aneurysm 2 weeks ago and is still in a coma. They will also have to discuss feeding tubes. Hang in there, be grateful that he has lived long enough to enjoy life and just try to stay positive. You'll have more answers in the next few days. God bless and good luck.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 4:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you been to see him at all today? My thoughts and prayers are with your family and you. Please keep us posted.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• prayers to you
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• All you can do is pray right now and be ready for anything good or sad. I'll say a little prayer for you.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I can't see him because he doesn't have the immunity, my LO has a runny nose and a slight cold, and I am nursing him he is only 5 months old. I had one myself but it only lasted a few hours, I had an amazing remedy but who knows I may be contagious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• he's in ICU ever since the surgery, and when I do searches online they only mention this for a day or so. and one article said that the father was in icu for days and it turned out that he was braindead and the doctors asked about the mans organs for other people, so far, I am not told this is what is going on, I am also not told that it is a coma but just unconsciousness, he hasn't opened his eyes or spoke or responded in anyway (my mom informs me, only she is visiting when she can)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I will be praying for your step dad..
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• all you can do is be there for him and your an amazing person for caring soo much for him
    R3DR0S3

Answer by R3DR0S3 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2009