biting

My 12 month old bites my shoulder when I am holding him and it is sore! I tell him not too and he bites more!
I read that you must not bite them back as you are only doing what you are telling them not to do. Please help if you know of a way to get him to stop biting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a friend who bit her son back and he never did it again. He bit her and she bit him back and said see it hurts dont do it to mummy and mummy wont do it to you. Even if he keeps doing it eventually he will stop because everytime he does bite you you bite him back and it will hurt ever time and he wont like it,
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 5:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Pretend to cry. I did this and it scared him and let him know that he was hurting me. Dont stop crying until he apologizes by giving you a kiss or putting his head down. When you see that he has acknowledged he hurt you tell him its ok but you dont bit! This should work! Give it a few days. Also...if that doesnt work try time out, that is a very effective way!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would tell him everytime no firmly and maybe put him down if you are holding him.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i'm in th same boat my 15 month old like to bite daddy every chance he gets we have no clue why
    millerbabe07

Answer by millerbabe07 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Thank you all for the great advise!
    Shellmybells

Answer by Shellmybells at 2:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2009