Is anyone else out there interested in creating a healthier home for their family? I am in the process of ridding my home of carcinogen,bleach, and ammonia based cleaning and other houshold items. Would like some feed back from other health conscious moms such as myself.

Is anyone else as health conscious as myself? I am trying to prepare for my first child and wish to rid my home of carcinogen, bleach and ammonia based household products to insure better health for not only my daughter but for myself and my family.

tsoto09

Asked by tsoto09 at 7:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Health

• We don't really do it for health reasons - more like economical reasons. I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle to clean just about everything, and sometimes wash clothes with baking soda if they're not too nasty. Oh, and salt is a good substitute for scrubbing cleaners like Ajax if what you're cleaning doesn't scratch (like our shower stall - I mix salt and baking soda together and sprinkle it on, let it sit a few minutes then wipe it down). And I like using olive oil and lemon juice mixed together to clean my wood furniture (go easy on the oil, though, and bottled lemon juice is just fine - leaves a nice shine!)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I recently started making my own laundry detergent. I did it mostly to save money but I love the fact that it's dye and fragrance-free. So far I've made 8 gallons of detergent out of $10 worth of ingredients.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• while I applaude you for going green just be aware that "green cleaners" are still poisonous.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There are carcinogens in the air you breathe, in the lumber with which your home was built, in the pipes, electrical wires, paint.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It sounds silly, but apple cider vinegar cleans hundreds of things non-toxically. Use it straight, or mix with warm or cool water. It cleans vinyl floors, furniture and wallpaper, wood floors, walls and trim, glass windows and other glass, cleans your car interior, takes off soap scum, brightens clothes when added to rinse water, removes pet odors and stains, removes musty smell from closed off rooms, basements or attics, conditions and makes your hair shine after shampoo, cools and soothes sunburn when added to a tepid bath, the vinegar odor vanishes quickly and is non-toxic--and smells a heck of a lot better than some of the stuff it cleans up
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree that it is good to make our homes as toxic free as we can. After we have done all that we can, there is the air that we breathe that is polluted too. so we constantly come in contact with toxins in our environment. I came across a company that has a detox product that removes heavy metals and toxins in our body. It comes as a liquid that we take 3x everyday.   It is a mineral that is natural,   Take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers.  You can also look at www.liquidzeolite.org   If you are really serious you need to look at this info.  I was amazed!  Message me if you are interested or want more info.   I was so impressed with the product that i became a distributor for this company and now can order at wholesale prices.

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 3:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2009