Giving an asprin a day to older lab??? Anyone ever do?

My dearest 10 year old dog has been having a hard time getting up after laying in dog bed for a while. I know this can be normal for older dogs. She is almost 11 (now that I think about it). Also there is nothing wrong with her, just getting older. But what I am wondering is - well I think I have heard to give dog an asprin a day it helps - anyone do this?

bristle3kids

Asked by bristle3kids at 7:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Pets

• we gave George (lab/dalmatian mix) a chewable baby aspirin every day for 2 years as he grew old, then we found a joint supplement that helped better than any aspirin could ever. It's called PetsPrefer for dogs, and the supplement is called "Joint Plus"

label says, "to support healthy hip and joint function"

Was $20, but each bottle of 60 tabs lasted 2 months...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• BE SURE TO CHECK WITH YOUR VET FIRST! I'm not sure but aspirin may be toxic to dogs, or maybe it's tylenol, but call the vet to be sure BEFORE you do it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Some dogs can tolerate aspirin in small dosages (less than 30 mg per pound of weight) as long as it is given with food to avoid stomach upset. DO NOT give small dogs or puppies aspirin or any medication w/o consulting a vet.
    DO NOT give a dog Tylenol w/o consulting a vet as it can cause liver failure.
    NEVER give a dog ibuprofen!
    ^^ was found at the website below:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_you_give_a_dog_aspirin

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You girls are so great - thank you!!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 9:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would call and check with your vet first.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You can give aspirin to dogs...never Tylenol or ibuprofen. It should not be given on an empty stomach. The dosage depends on your dog's weight; check with your vet for the right dosage.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• CHECK WITH YOUR VET FIRST!
    I'm pretty sure the only drug you can give dogs is ALEVE (I'm a Vet Tech student). NEVER give a dog Ibuprofen or Tylenol..I'm not sure on Aspirin...but I'm sure that's a no no, too.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ASPIRIN IS OK, BUT YOUR VET MIGHT SUGGEST RYMADIL(SPELLING) OR AN ANTI INFLAMATORY FOR YOUR DOG TO EASE THE JOINT STIFFNESS... CHECK W/VET FIRST... ALSO PETSMART AND PETCO OR RYAN'S PET STORE HAVE STEPS YOU CAN SET IN FRONT OF YOUR BED SO THE DOG CAN GET UP EASIER, MY DOG IS GOIGN THRU HER 2ND BOUT W/VALLEY FEVER AND GETS REAL BAD AND CAN'T GET IN THE BED W/ME SO I PUT A BED ON THE FLOOR BY ME SO SHE CAN BE THERE TILL IT GETS BETTER...
    MZCHRIS

Answer by MZCHRIS at 12:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• we used to do that with our older Rottie who was diagnosed with arthritis. i would get a diagnosis from your vet before administering aspirin (or anything else). It may not be a condition that calls for aspirin therapy. My Shep/Chow mix who made it to 14 years of age this past december started haivng ahard time with his back legs and getting up from laying position - had nothing to do with arthritis. Was neurological and due to age - common in Shephards.
    klkstpeter

Answer by klkstpeter at 1:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• we used to give our german sheppard aspirin every day when he got older..just NO TYLENOL or IBUPROFIN
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2009