Does your child's daycare have a problem with parents showing up unannounced?

One of my friends phoned me this morning and said that her child's daycare director had a problem with her "popping up" at her child's daycare on her lunch break. My friend said she just wanted to drop in to just check things out. Her daughter is 6 months old and she was informed that some daycares will have a child's diaper on all day and then change it when its almost time for the parent to pick the child up, among other things. {I said some daycares}. Well the director told her that it wasn't good for the child for her to come and leave like that. I used to always go to my child's daycare unannounced and sometimes I wouldn't even let my child know that I'm there. What's your opinion and experience with this situation.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 8:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that is BS and would wonder what she is hiding or afraid of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Sounds like it's time to find another daycare! (but then I don't have a lot of experience with daycares either)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would pull her. I would also seek out a daycare with nanny cam. My daughter's daycare was chosen for that reason. Open to unannounced visits, nanny cam on a secure server (i can watch from my office), and they attract better quality providers because they know they will be on camera.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I used to manage a daycare,and I had parents pop up alot,the only problem ,I had with it was nap time,because if someone was there they did,nt want to lay down,but other than that,I thought is was great for moms and dads come in on lunch breaks,and eat with the kids ,or feed their babies.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I let the centers know, before I enrolled my son, that I would be comming by to check on him and the center to do spot checks - and often. I asked up front if they had an issue with it. Each place said no. Any parenting book will tell you that you do need to do spot checks. I did mine about every other week and at various different times. I found a few things at one center that as a licensed social worker I was obligated to report to the state. And I pulled my child out that very day. Explain the the director that you understand you may be comming a little too often but you do intend to still come to do spot checks. Explain you are not just checking up on your child you are also checking on them. Do go at different times and also sometimes have your SO go. They usually don't say boo to a man either. Go figure. But do try every other week as opposed to every other day for a surprise element.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• with the above i understand the nap time thing xo.. but i would be wondering why i couldnt see my child on my time, i understand them saying its hard for the kid only due to the fact that when shes older and mom cant visit it might be hard for the kid but shes 6 months old. i would tell them listen this is my kid i want to see her when i can and in fact u still get paid when i "drop" by . so to bad. i would research and find a new place that states its a good thing, then tell this place why your pulling kid out
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Some have an issue because it disrupts the day and what is normal for the day. If she did it everyday then it might be less of an issue. Plus it makes other kids realize their parents dont just show up. Usually when parents show up its time to go home.
    My sons preschool never had an issue with it though. I was a SAHM and he went just for fun. I volunteered alot and made alot of donations. My dd starts there next year and I plan to do the same and they are happy to see me back again. So I think it depends on the daycare, their rules etc. If shes unhappy with the way they run it then she should look for a new daycare.

Answer by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• That would be a red flag on so many levels! Our daycare has a sign on the door that says that parents are welcome at any time! There are halfdoors on all the classrooms that have the top half opened most of the time, as well as windows that stretch the length of most of the rooms! I agree iwth the other mommies, I would be looking elsewhere for childcare. I don't care if I pay them to care for my child it is still MY child and I will have access to them when I deem it appropriate, not someone else!!!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!! That is a big RED FLAG!! Get a new day care. Day cares should be welcoming to all parents, open to their concerns, offer viewing windows or web cams so they can peek in on their kids, and offer a nursing or separate room for parents to spend some time with their kids. My day care offers all of these.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I did'nt mean,I would'nt let them,I never told a parent no,I was just saying nap time was a little stressful on the kids.I was all about parent involvement.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2009