Does anyone have a Bilingual Toddlers-Need Advice

My granddaughter is bilingual she speaks Indonesian and English. I feel since she will be 3 in July she should be speaking English better. Has anyone used The Sylvan Learning Center, and how much did your child's grades improve? My granddaughter's babysitter speaks only Indonesian. When talking to me she tries to use English she knows I only understand English and with her babysitter she know to speak only Indonesian. Sometime she tries to use Indonesian with me and gets very upset because she can't make herself understood. Her mom and my son speak to her in English as well in Indonesian. So she thinks I'm being either stupid or mean when I don't understand her. It's very upsetting to her when I can't understand what she wants. She RESIST me trying to teach her English. She want to mix it together. I know toddlers are better able to understand and learn other languages. But I want to build her vocabulary in English. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 year old little girl speaks English as her primary language with a little sign still but since she was born in Germany and my husbands grandmother is German we are teaching her German. We are military and have just moved to New Mexico (talk about a culture shock for a 2yr old) So we have begun to incorporate Spanish into her vocabulary. It is a language that is spoken a lot in the US now so it can not hurt her to learn. I don't see how any language will hurt a child to learn as long as they are learn the primary language they will need to know in order to go to school. If she will need English for school then yes I think some tutoring would be best. It can only increase her knowledge base right? That is the way I see it. Right now they see it as a game but if you wait to long they will see it as a chore.
    Phiasmom0

Answer by Phiasmom0 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• my babies speak three languages. they don't speak it fluently but they know all the same words in those languages.it will take some time but in the long run they will benifit. i didn't speak english til i was six 'cause sign language was easier. my mother let me and now i speak three languages and have very good job offers!
    lluviajuarez

Answer by lluviajuarez at 10:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2009