what makes someone a bad mom?

to me the only things that make someon a bad mom are abusing your children or neglecting them or KNOWINGLY letting it go on by someonelses hand and not doing a danm thing about it.. as long as your not doing that your fine in my book.. we all hev differnt paretning stlyes .. doesnt make us bad.. just makes us us.. wouldnt it be boring if we were all the same

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• there are some choices that are just 100 percent best for a child, not making those choices doesn't automatically put you in the bad mom category though.

I am all for different parenting styles, but there are those parents who are so detached that I see it as neglect, even if a lot of people wont. Neglect is such a hard thing because everyone's definition wont be the same. Emotional abuse is so hard to even see or prove but I have definitely seen parents in public do what *I* believe is abuse whether it's verbal or physical...

I definitely believe there are many bad parents in this world. You can see it on the streets. Maybe not all the time, and sometimes someone can be having a bad day, but there are just some things that make me believe someone is a bad parent.. I always hope that they don't do these things at home/all the time. I guess I am a bit judgmental.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Putting their own needs before their kid's needs/health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• spending to much time on cafe mom, I've been waiting so long to say this!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I've got a friend who is a single mother, works full time, and then 3 or 4 nights out of the week, her kids stay with her parents or sister so she can stay with her boyfriend. I wouldn't say that makes her a bad mother, just a mother who makes bad choices.

When I was dating my husband, I brought my son out with us I think all but twice. A lot of people thought I was making a bad choice because my son was going to get attached to someone who may leave his life and never look back. But to me, it was important to be with him. I went to school, I worked full time, and he was very young so I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with him when he was awake.

But as far as being a bad mom, I agree with your definition.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I have a friend like Crystal1124.. her son is almost 5 and has lived with her mom all his life. She lives with her boyfriend and her son visits sometimes, but only when its a good time for her. He is being raised by her mom. Not HIS mom. I think that is bad parenting. The only reason she doesnt have him living with her is because she doesnt want to get up in the mornings with him. She hasnt actually said that, but I know thats why because she sleeps until 12 or 1pm most days. Then she goes to work.. only time she sees her son is when she has a day off.. and then its only if she doesnt having anything "better" to do. That, in my opinion, is a bad mom.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 9:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• In regards to this question I would like to call my sis out.

She works full time and spends 2 hours a day with her child. Then on the weekends she says that she needs a break from her DD. So she ships her off from Fri to Mon. And now she has moved out of state and where they were staying they couldn't have pets. So they sent my niece back home b/c my sis can't afford daycare b/c they have to pay for boarding for the pet. That to me is a bad mom. On top of a situation we encountered last year where my niece was admitted to the hosp for a week and my sis only went up once and that was to sign paperwork for her surgery.

This to me makes a BAD MOM. I believe that she is putting her wants and desires before her DD's needs.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Oh and when my niece wants to hug her mom she tells her to "get away from me". I just don't get it and thanks for letting me vent.
    coala

• Heh. I hope she gets on this site and can read this.. but my DDs BM is the freaking epitomy of Bad mama. She had my niece, then when baby was 2 wks I caught the egg donor snorting shit off my counter, right next to baby bottles. My brother (babys father) then got emergency custody of her, and they both were required to 1. Go to parenting classes 2. Pass random drug tests for 6mths 3. Take all meds for psychological conditions 4. Keep a job 5. Live in one stable place for 6mths. If she did all this-SHE COULD HAVE HER DAUGHTER! She didnt do any of it. Not the first freaking thing. My brother did everything but stay clean. She was 18, he was 16. Now I have her. Then this idiot goes and pops out 2 more kids-one is 3 and his teeth are rotting out his freaking head! Its pathetic!
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Not listening to your mom instints and parents that just keep doing things that don't work over and over again. Example my friend spanks her kids but they are little terrors and they hit and scream and get into huge amounts of trouble. She tells me it's just her parenting style. (vent)
    Jessica_Izzy

Answer by Jessica_Izzy at 10:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Not putting her kids first. You have to be there for them.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2009