Asthma during pregnancy

I've had asthma for about 3 years now. I did okay my first pregnancy but this one is a lot more difficult. They're sudden and vicious and painful. They've gotten to the point I have to sit down before I fall because of the room(s) spinning. I know the baby could be on an artery or something, but moving her doesn't help any. My MIL doesn't want to give me my inhaler because she's afraid of what it might do to my baby. It's ProAir HFA (Albuterol Sulfate). I can't get to an OBGYN until sometime next week when my insurance kicks in, and I'm just not sure what to do. ((And kinda off topic does that actually mean I'm probably going to need oxygen during labor?))

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 9:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Health

• I'm as asthmatic and I've been that way for 21 years now. I used my inhaler with all 3 of my pregnancies and all 3 of my pregnancies were fine. I also used albuterol, just the generic kind. You need to be able to breathe to get oxygen to the baby! Call the doctor and just clear it with them first...you shouldn't need to be seen for them to tell you if it's ok.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You need your inhaler! In this case the benefits clearly outweigh the risks. Why the heck is your MIL keeping it? Can you not make your own decisions? Tell her to give it up because you can't breathe!! No, this does not mean you will need oxygen during labor, as long as your asthma is well controlled with the medication you have been prescribed and need.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 9:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• USE YOUr INHALER it won't hurt the baby.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:46 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I am a chronic asthmatic. I had to use my inhaler A LOT during my 3rd trimester b/c it was at the same time of year that is my worst time. Albuterol won't hurt the baby. The benefits of using your meds much outweighs the risk of killing your baby due to lack of oxygen from you. Your MIL needs to hand over the inhaler and why is she holding it anyways. Get to the doctor even if it is the ER if it doesn't help b/c something else is going on. By the way if your asthma is well controlled then you won't need oxygen during delivery.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2009