What would happen?

If WIC refused formula to infants until 6 weeks old? (unless prescribed by a Dr.) Would there be more infant death or better breastfeeding mothers?
"Nothing is impossible if you believe. Believe in yourself and make the impossible possible."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't think WIC should provide formula without a prescription in the first place. I don't think there would be more dead babies, but you never know. Some women who receive WIC already bitch about the amount of formula given, and in some cases they water it down to make it last (which can kill your child, and has killed children before). I know many women who don't even try to breastfeed because, and their exact words, "formula is free".. and they are on WIC. It's really rather sad.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Some parents might attempt breastfeeding but I think most of the mothers would just figure out a way to buy it on their own or con their doctor into writing a note for them.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 9:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't know. I think that breast feeding is a choice that a mother has the option to make and not all make that choice. My sis chose not to and I chose to. It all depends on the person.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Some moms,can't breastfeed for varies reasons,and can't afford the formula.This may be a little out there,but if a mom had breast cancer and had a masectomy,and could'nt afford formula,yeah I guess her baby would starve. Who cares if you Breast feed or bottle feed,it is nobodys business ,how they feed ,I formula fed,and I bet my kids were healthier than most Bf babies.Other than rutine check ups,they maybe had 2 colds,and 2 ear infections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think parents would be going to dr and getting the prescription. I wanted to breastfeed with every bit of my body and the first week my son was on formula I had a hard time not crying because I felt like I was failing as a mother already. However, I didn't have an option. If the WIC office told me that, I would have gone straight to the pediatrician's office.

But i think it is every parents choice and I'm sick of all the bickering back and forth. Who the hell cares if you BF or FF. As long as that child is getting fed and taken care of, why does it matter.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• anon 853, you obviously misread. If a women generally CAN NOT breastfeed her doctor would give her a note/prescription.

Crystal, sure it's a choice but not always the best one. Someone has to protect children from selfish parents. (those who choose it, are not forced into it)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I had a medical problem and i couldnt bf until about a week after my son was born so i just chose not to at all...My son is perfectly healthy and your children are not any healthier!!!! dont act like they are..ok. A lot of the same nutrients and things are put into formula so the babies still get the stuff they need.dont bash parents who choose not to have a baby on their boobs every 4 hours..its not right and your not perfect in every little way either!!!!
    landonsmommy709

Answer by landonsmommy709 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• lol. formula only contains 1/4 of the nutrients, and none of the properties of breast milk (antibodies, etc). So please, don't even try and compare the two. It's just uneducated! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't think WIC leads to lower breastfeeding, I think if they choose to formula feed they will anyway. More likely they would buy the formula they can't afford and use it incorrectly... not feed the baby as often, water it down, introduce solids even earlier, or start whole milk too early.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I feed all three of my children from the bottle. My first son, I tried to bf for the first week, and it hurt terribly. I took him for a check-up b/c he was crying a lot and seemed to be losing weight. the doc told me that he didn't think my son was getting the proper nutrients for my milk. So, he told me to try formula. I did, and the first bottle we gave him, the child slept for eight hours straight. He had apparently been so hungry that he couldn't sleep.
    NOw, on to the OP's question. I don't think that babies would starve. There may be some mothers out there that would let that happen, but those are the moms who don't desrve their kids anyway. I think most would either buy the formula themselves, our get a note from the doc.

-Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2009