Transition from formula to whole milk....

My DD is turning 1 soon and I'm getting ready to start the transition from formula to whole milk, but because my Ped is very popular, it'll be a few weeks before she goes for her 1 year evaluation. What advice can you give me for making the transition go smoothly? Did you mix it half and half to start or even less? How long did it take you to make the full transition? How much milk should she be getting per day once the formula is gone? Thanks in advance for all advice.

Kimebs

Asked by Kimebs at 9:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started filling her bottle up a quarter of the way with milk and 3/4 the way with formula. Then about 4 days later I did half and half for anther 4-5 days then 1/4 formula 3/4 milk. I did it slowly because I was worried about the transition and that she would begin to refuse a bottle if I sprung it on her too quickly if she didn't like the taste.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• With my son, I changed him cold turkey. He didn't have a problem with it initially... but he's severely lactose intolerant so about 4 days in he started projectile vomitting and having horridle diarrhea.

My sister switched my nephew cold turkey as well.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yea i did it cold turkey too, BUT I did warm the milk up at first. I would also just give a couple of ounces at a time,
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would give him milk in one bottle and formula in the next bottle. But after talking to my PED she said that most kids do fine just switching right away. I just wanted to use up all the formula we had left :)
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2009