Car seat question.

Okay, I have a 4 year old and a 7mth old. My 4 year old is 42lbs. and is in a Britax Roundabout..I think..the one that only goes to 40lbs. I realize she is over the weight limit so Im trying my hardest to save up for another Britax Frontier. Will she be okay in the car seat even though she is slightly over the weight limit? I just moved my son to one of my DDs older Britax car seats as well. It was manufactured in Oct. 2001, has never been in a wreck and is in good condition. I know they expire after like 7-8 years, so Im also saving up to get him a new Britax, but for now, are they okay in these car seats?? If not... shoot.. I'll go take out a loan or something lol.

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would think they would be fine
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree with mommy5409. But, if you're really worried about it why not buy cheaper seats than a Britax?
    natalieg

Answer by natalieg at 10:31 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Well, my DD needs a Britax because they are one of the only ones that harness up to 80lbs.
    I might get my son something else for now, but i dont want to. Britaxs are one of the best seats out there, and I dont mind paying that much for their safety.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You have to look at the expiration date, and in areas where it gets super hot all the time, the expiration is usually less then what is on the carseat. At least it's recommended because the heating/cooling can mess with the plastic and make it weaker. Your carseat could be just fine for your son though.

I don't even think it's legal to use a carseat beyond what the propor use is, at least some states have proper usage clauses. I don't think you need a britax, just get him a seat that fits him. Just because it's more expensive doesn't always mean it's the best seat lol. We don't buy britax.. we buy good seats but also what we can afford. Getting a seat that fits the child is more important than waiting for a more expensive one.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:36 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I would not put my kids in these seats. The older child, the harness could fail in an accident because she is over the limit. You can get a Graco Nautilus that harnesses to 65 lbs then boosters to 100 for $150, a bit cheaper then the Britax. The younger one, you could either get a new seat, or use the Roundabout as long as it's not expired.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There are other options for car seats if you need something sooner. Why can't your child use a booster rather than the harness? Some boosters start at 30, while most start at 40 lbs. Then the younger one can use the roundabout.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/seat_laws_ask.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• well, because I want her harnessed as long as possible. A booster isnt as safe.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• There is a reason they have expiration dates and a reason they have weight limits. Get seats.

There are options other than Britax which are just as good and don't cost as much. We have an Apex65 which harness up to 64lbs then converts to a belt positioning booster to 100lbs. I know there are at least 2 others as well, but don't remember the names of them.

They are not safe in seats which are expired and in which they are over the weight limit. If (lord forbid) you're in an accident those seats cannot be relied upon to keep them safe! The plastic shell has degraded and is not as strong. The straps are rated to hold a certain amount of weight in a forceful accident...not above a certain amount of weight.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Safety is your number one concern, so you need to get new seats ASAP! I highly recommend the Graco Natulis (I paid $179--in the store, you can get better deals online). It's got GREAT safety ratings, and is a fraction of the cost of the Britax. Get the Natulis (Harnesses to 65 pounds, boosters to 100) for your daughter, and move your son into the Britax if you really want him to ride in one. You'll only have to buy one seat that way, and by the time your son is of the weight limit, you'll have had ample time to save up for one in which you can extend him in a harness.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2009