Do you find the term "playdate" wrong?

So I was talking to my son's father and I told him that the previous day he had gone on a playdate and he said that the term "playdate" sounds wrong. I responded by asking how in the world that would sound wrong and saying that he should get his mind out of the gutter. He flipped and said that all mothers are defensive and are too tight. I dont understand why anyone would think that "playdate" when in reference to playing with another baby would be wrong. Can anyone shed some light? Or do you think something just crawled up his butt this morning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think he should see a proctologist to remove what ever got stuck up there. There is nothing wrong with the term in my oppinion. He sounds like the one who is too tight and defensive.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I know men who giggle at the term playdate because they automatically think dirty thoughts. It's silly and childish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Maybe its the word "date".. I always thought it was an odd term, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Also some men will snicker at the term playmate.....my guess is that they are programmed to think on playboy terms when they hear these words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It may sound a little off because he is dating the words to mean their direct individual meaning. As mothers, and as Cafemom members, we hear that term all the time. It has become a part of our daily language. But for him, it's different. I would cut him some slack. We can't always control what words bother us.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Yea something crawled right up his ass and died there. My kids have a calender and the manufacturing company has the word "playdate" on a sticker whenever my daughter gets invited over to a friends house or if someone comes over.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• When did the term "playdate" come into fashion? Whatever happened to asking a friend just to come over and eat pizza and bring the baby if you want? LOL
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 10:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

LMAO
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• It's where you set a date for children to play. Playdate. It's totally the correct term and doesn't sound dirty or weird.

Now if you still called it that when your child was 13 that might sound weird-but still not dirty.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• But I had my first playdate on Tuesday. My daughter is four months old and the other baby was eleven months old. There was no "playing" involved. Just mothers sitting around talking about their babies. I just find it weird and kind of pretentious. Like "play yards" instead of "play pens", because "pen" denotes prison (or whatever the reason it was changed). I'm a new mom, so I'm still trying to figure out the correct lingo for people my age with new babies.
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 11:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2009