How long can you keep cows milk in a bottle/cup in the fridge after they started drinking it?

Is there anything with their mouth bacteria causing it to go bad, like formula? or can they drink from the same bottle for as long as it takes them to finsh??

AmandaL21

Asked by AmandaL21 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know what the rule is, but I will let my DS drink the same milk all day, if he doesn't finish it. I won't keep it overnight. It doesn't smell right after letting it sit, even in the fridge, overnight and I wouldn't drink it, so I don't expect him to.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I leave my sons sippy cups with milk out all day with him (he'll go through two) and then at night I empty out what ever is left. If you're worried about wasting the milk then only put small amounts in the cup or bottle at a time.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• The same rule applies - once a child has drunk from it, throw it out after an hour. Just like formula, milk has taste proteins and sugars that bacteria love. Once a child drinks from it, bacteria from their mouth will contaminate the milk. In time, that bacteria will cause the milk to sour.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2009