c/sections always unnecessary?

why do some people insist that c/s are are unnecessary and try to scare pregnant women? sure they are times where a doc performs one and later you find out it could have been avoided. but how could you deal with yourself if you convinced another mom that her upcoming c/s in not necessary, that she is 'uneducated' and therefore refuses and has a vaginal birth that leads to either death or severe complications in the newborn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Without a c-section, my daughter and I would have died.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Some are. But I am sorry if the Dr calls it an emergency and then it takes them 2 hours to get you backthere and cut you open than it is not an emergency. In america 1 in 3 women have a c/s, and in some other countries it is as low as 1 in 10 or 1 in 15, and there infant and maternal mortality rate is tons lower too. Are women in america really not built to have babies or is it us being uneducated. "failure to progress" is a load of crap! And that is why a majority of them are done. If mom would get off her back (most cant because of an epidural) then the baby could rottate and decend, but Dr's dont think like that, midwives and doula's do. The c-s rate among them is extreemly lower, and most complications occur bercause of a hospital forcing stuff on you (l;ike I said, laying on yor back is the WORST position for having a baby) But always unnecessary? No, but completely overused, for selfish reasons on the Dr's part.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:24 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I agree. C-sections are sometimes TOTALLY necessary. Hell if they had the technology to figure that out along time ago, there would be tons of women and babies that would have survivied. I've never heard of anyone saying c-sections are always unnecessary, but I'm sure there are ppl out there that think that. Of course there are times when it probably wasn't, but I'd say more times than not a doctor will not perform a c-section unless there is a medical reason for it. I wouldn't listen to anyone on cafemom telling you you don't need a c-section and I hope other ppl wouldn't either. My doctor didn't go to medical school for 8 years to just have some average jane off the street tell me he's wrong.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I had a csection, non-emergency. My son was stuck in my pelvis and was not descending. I was four days late, went through 24 hours of labor, 2 hours of pushing and he was still not budging. My body was trying to go into labor for days before I was in the hospital, but when his head started to get into my pelvis, it was crooked. Then he'd go back up, thus stopping labor.

I think my csection was totally necessary. More than likely I'll schedule a csection for the next baby, when that time comes.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• My daughter had no choice with a freshly healed pelvic fracture, sudden seizures, and placenta previa.
    I think ignorance is not always bliss, but a black hole that keeps narrow-minded people trapped in their own dream world with the inability to expand their minds and learn about things outside of themselves.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think people need to worry about themselves and stop worrying about what others do.
    If you dont think c/s are necessary...thats YOUR business and keep it to yourself. Others, like me, know they can be needed and wouldnt ever think of trying to dissuade someone from their decision or make them feel bad,etc. Thats crapola.

To each their own. IF someone says HEY whatcha think of having a c/section then state your opinion and leave it at that. Otherwise dont volunteer crap cuz you feel compelled to tell others about all the wonders you think you've found in your "research".
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Some are unneeded because had a woman been allowed to move around and labor, that baby would have moved down enough for the contractions and pushing to birth the baby. Hop onto the hospital bed and get iv's and drugs...no wonder it ends in surgery.
    Anonymous

• i had 22 hours of active labor, dialated to 9.5 and wouldn't dialate any more, I was mag-toxic and severly preeclamptic(sp). Without a c-section me and my son wouldn't be here today. I'm glad they did it and I'm glad we are both here alive and healhty today.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2009