At what age do you tell your children that they are NOT vaccinated?

We are waiting for our son to have his first vaccine If I decided to not give any, when can I tell him he is not vaccinated? thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 2 so we really don't talk about her being not vaccinate. She doesn't understand this. She does wind up being one of the only 2 year olds I have seen who doesn't scream going to the doctors lol so that's always amusing.

My best friend was never vaccinated and knew in elementary school. She wasn't treated differently because kids don't really notice. I don't even think they do vaccines IN schools any more. In my elementary school they did.. i think it may have been flu or something? I don't know, I just remember lining up and getting the vaccine. I didn't even know she didn't get them until I had my daughter and we have been friends for 15 years! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I think thats one of those things they need to grow up learning. Just talk about it like it is nothing and he will grow up ad it will not be asurprise to him. No big deal...
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Do you think that he would be seen differently in school. Can Not being vaccinated have influence on his life? OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I don't feel a need to tell my child she IS vaccinated so why tell them when they're not? If you feel vaccinations aren't necessary and that not being vacc'd isn't an issue, why make a big deal out of it? They'll figure it out on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• because anon, your child will KNOW she's vaccinated when she has to get the boosters going into middle school.

why hide something from your child? it's always good to be open and honest with them about everything. eventually they will be allowed to make their own decisions, so telling them why you did or did not do something can help them with those decisions etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:56 AM on Apr. 2, 2009

• You can start taking about it with your husband be sure your little one is listening to everything. Your son later on will have already some kind of notion of the subject making it easier for you and your husband to explain the issue. It is not actually an issue just something else to talk about and learn.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 10:50. What is the big deal? I can see why you might mention it, but it doesn't seem like one of those "talks" to have with your kid. And I don't see them getting treated any differently. I doubt that the kids sit around on the playground talking about who gets shots and who doesn't. What is the big deal?
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 12:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• I can see where they should know...not a big talk or anything, but something that they should know.

As they get older, they should know because they'll need to take precautions so they don't knowingly expose themselves to someone who is sick with something for which there is a vaccine.

They'd also need to know for certain types of careers they may choose which would require them to be vaccinated....so they could either chose to change career choices or get their vaccines.
    Anonymous

• This is something we talk about after the doctors visits at which we decline the vaxes. I think that's a good opportunity if you feel the need to discuss this with your child.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• Not sure since I vaccinated. Maybe if there was a health reason for it, or just something as they got older.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2009